« Temposhark Releases New Single and Video + Very Special Video Message | Main | Free MP3 Download: Tigercity "Fake Gold" (Only Children Remix) »

Single Review: Alicia Keys "Doesn't Mean Anything"

Alicakeys

When Alicia Keys released her sublime debut LP "Songs In A Minor" back in 2001, I was blown away by her raw and unfiltered musical talent. The album showed that Keys was not only a great singer, but also a gifted songwriter who knew how to come up with a hook that could entertain millions.

But ever since that first record, I felt that the releases that followed were disappointing. They were bland and, quite frankly, didn't make a lasting impression on me. Sure. They were very well crafted and sold millions but it seemed that so much of it just faded away into the background. Just like stuff that plays in Starbucks stores around the country if you know what I mean.

Keys' brand-new single "Doesn't Mean Anything" is an unexpected surprise that indicates a welcome new direction for the singer/songwriter. Driven by a gorgeous piano riff, it is a near perfect blend of a power ballad and a mid-tempo love song that marks her poppiest work to date. Instead of getting trapped in intricate vocal acrobatics, a soulful Keys sticks to the song's melody, which does the production fully justice. Very curious to hear her new album.

September 20, 2009 in Alicia Keys | Permalink

Comments

Wow, exciting! I completely agree with you about her later albums. I bought the first one but never felt interested enough in buying the other ones - and I do like her.
This sounds really good...I like it a lot. Hope the album's gonna live up to my expectations. :)

Posted by: Maj at Sep 20, 2009 8:16:12 AM

I love the song, but it still sounds like a mix of all her older material, huh?

Posted by: Nadia Hearts Music at Sep 20, 2009 10:15:27 AM

I agree with Maj.We've heard this song before it seems. It's still a pretty song. It's too "pop-ish" for me though.

Posted by: Willie at Sep 20, 2009 3:51:20 PM

I like this song a lot. And I have to disagree with you on her albums. I thought Diary of Alicia Keys and As I Am were superb albums.

Posted by: Ashley at Sep 20, 2009 9:51:06 PM

Alicia keys est superbe et hyper talentueuse. J'adore tous ses albums, même si AS I AM est celui que j'aime le moins. Je continue de lui faire confiance, et je suis persuadé qu'elle ne décevra pas avec son prochain album.

Posted by: Phil at Sep 21, 2009 11:03:02 AM

i think alicia keys has been the best female artist of the past 8yrs or so we have had the privileged to witness... her album, As I Am was by far her best... i went to get it.
she is by far the best artist alive... talented, wonderful, conscious...

Posted by: massi at Sep 21, 2009 1:06:34 PM

Nice song.

Posted by: Dan the Music Master at Sep 24, 2009 3:03:26 AM

I have bought every Keys album, and thought Diary was also strong. But I agree she is really softening the edges on her stuff. i don't hear anything on this new single that wasn't on As I Am. I will still buy the new album, and no doubt enjoy it. But what I really want in an album from miss Keys that is the gritty soul of Janis Joplin meets the hard as nails funk of Betty Davis, i think it is an incarnation that she would absolutly tear up and stamp her authority as one of the greats of this era. I fear it will always be a pipe dream though as Alicia moves ever closer to the middle of the road with each album.

Posted by: Michael Drake at Sep 24, 2009 11:40:35 PM