« A Little Treat for the Weekend | Main | Free Download: Sonya Kitchell "For Every Drop" »

MIA's "Paper Planes" Catches Wind

Mia_paperplanes

MIA's new single "Paper Planes" catches some second wind and is shooting up the download charts with help from the trailer for the new movie Pineapple Express. The song is featured in the trailer for the movie, and has increased to #9 on the iTunes singles chart and #8 on the albums chart. The song is MIA's version of a mid-tempo joint with her distinct vocals and infectious dance beats mixed together with shotgun blasts and cash-register ka-chings and also a sample of The Clash classic "Straight To Hell."

Watch MIA "Paper Planes"

August 1, 2008 in Video Streams | Permalink

Comments

Paper Planes is a great song. The bonus for longtime fans is hearing the song everywhere now that its a part of the trailer.

We don't need no stinking radio!

Posted by: Ana at Aug 1, 2008 7:54:14 AM

I've been hearing a lot about M.I.A.'s paper planes -- and I have no complaints about the beat and music, however, I think I have reason to be concerned about the content. There has been some buzz lately about M.I.A.'s connection to a terrorist group. Ceylon Records - the label handling Sri Lankan Rapper Delon has released this controversial viral video the link is below:

I just want to know what you guys think -- it's pretty shocking. Am I the only one who's shocked by this? Tsk, tsk.

Posted by: Dexter at Aug 1, 2008 1:55:39 PM

Come on dog! That chick is allright but the beat is regular, regular, regular hip hop. The boom is cuz of the movie that's using the song.

And about the video on lankantube, Dexter, it's pretty bad ass!

Posted by: Mike at Aug 1, 2008 3:34:43 PM

See this: http://www.fbi.gov/page2/jan08/tamil_tigers011008.html

Posted by: See this at Aug 4, 2008 8:53:09 PM

"Universal Music Group pulled her song off the trailer of their new film Pineapple Express... is this the start of the end of MIA's music career in the US?"

"Rumor has it that Canada is strongly considering banning MIA from entering the country due to her possible terrorist connections"
"The US refused MIA's visa numerous times, they need to yank it out of her hand on her way out of the country!"

"And I just found this link to E-Entertainment TV's website:"

E-Online has posted the article about MIA and we need to have 300 comments on their page BY THE END OF TODAY in order to get their attention and further featuring on their site.

You can make a difference right now! Please go to this link right away and express your opinion, this is a pivotal time in this campaign to get the
truth out about M.I.A. and her song "Paper Planes"!

_on_tear_terror.html

Get the truth out! Go out there and do your part!

Posted by: Lyra at Aug 7, 2008 10:32:06 AM

Hell yeah, let's kick some ass and show the truth about MIA!

Posted by: doubled at Aug 7, 2008 12:07:35 PM

Sometimes you gotta be extreme to make an impact in society -- and I think that's what DeLon did exactly. I don't agree that the use of the images was irreverence -- it was an exaggeration of the irreverence that M.I.A. has been showing through her career through the use of terrorist-related symbols and lyrics. You gotta give some credit to this guy for having the guts to speak out on this matter. Terrorism is not a matter to be taken lightly, even in music, specially with hip hop music, a genre that influences many people.

I found this new related site: http://www.saynototerror.com

What bothers me most of all is that they're having a war against war. I think the best thing that should happen is for M.I.A. and Delon to be on the same side -- moving for peace and unity in Sri Lanka. I mean come on, this internet war isn't making things better. I believe that if M.I.A. and Delon work on the same side, for peace and unity, that would serve us all better.

Posted by: Ivy at Aug 8, 2008 3:58:16 PM

That's a unstoppable fight!

News:
The website www.saynototerror.com was created by Delon's record company I think.

Crazy ass..