« Arjanwrites.com Readers' Choice 2006: And the Winners Are... | Main | Stream Scissor Sisters Performance in Berlin »

Free Download: A Kiss Could Be Deadly "Midnight Romance"

Arjanwrites_akisscouldbedeadly

There is no better way to kick off the new year with a hot new synth pop tune by hot new synth pop band A Kiss Could Be Deadly. Their brand-new song "Midnight Romance" is one of the year's first guilty pleasures that will have you lusting for more, more, more. This is one of those quality tracks that could potentially have the same impact as Shiny Toy Guns' "Le Disko" and Dangerous Muse's "The Rejection" across the mighty pop blog scene.

The Los Angeles based quintet was founded in 2004 by friends Lauren Baird (lead vocals) and Chris Qualls (synths/programming) who later added Tim Floyd (guitar), Kelly Cairns (bass) and Danny DeLeon (drums). They were tired of how stagnant the music scene had become and looked to bring their own distinct sound by combining the "ethic and passion of punk rock with the melody, appeal and catchiness of dance music." Since then, the group has toured across Southern California and independently released their EP "The Pink Noise Sessions" last year.

The peppy and pumping "Midnight Romance" (with Lauren's enigmatic vocals) is a song about "wanting someone that you're not supposed to have feelings for," Chris Qualls writes me. "Not in a cheating way but in a star-crossed type of way.  A forbidden love, if you will.  The lyrics are about the conflict between doing what you really want and what everyone else thinks you should be doing."

Download A Kiss Could Be Deadly "Midnight Romance" [MP3]

January 2, 2007 in MP3 | Permalink

Comments

Wow. This is really good.

Posted by: Aaron at Jan 2, 2007 7:35:44 AM

what a great track, thanks Arjan!

Posted by: at Jan 2, 2007 11:37:29 AM

Awesome Track
They have an iSupport banner on their myspace page too
I love this band

Posted by: SEP at Jan 3, 2007 11:27:35 AM

Hmmm. I think the Modern blew their moment.

Posted by: xolondon at Jan 3, 2007 3:42:10 PM

Just an OK track IMHO. Not a patch on Portobella, Van She or The Modern though.

I agree about The Modern blowing their moment. It's a shame because they really have some genius pop songs that will languish in unreleased limbo for what seems like forever. If you don't believe me then head over to http://myspace.com/matineeclub (they are now unfortunately called "Matinee Club"... yuck) and stream "Travelodge" and "Fool in the Name of Love". Brilliant, no?

WHY ARE THESE STILL UNRELEASED? It makes me sick. Portobella is even more frustrating though!

Posted by: stimpy586 at Jan 3, 2007 6:20:19 PM

Eh, I heard them awhile ago because they sent me a myspace friend request and they're really nothing special. The lead vocals are very annoying after awhile. They're kindof a second-rate Shiny Toy Guns.

Posted by: alexis at Jan 6, 2007 11:46:36 PM

I love A Kiss Could Be Deadly and this song "Midnight Romance" is so rad :] but the download don't work for me :[ :[

Anyone know where I can get it from?

Posted by: Rae at Sep 25, 2007 10:03:28 PM