« Lo-Fi-Fnk Coming to America | Main | Stream The Killers "Sam's Town" »

Review: Fergie "The Dutchess"

Arjanwrites_fergie

Forget all that you know about Fergie. Forget about her trampy sense of fashion, her wet pants, her recovery from drug addiction and all that plastic surgery. Just listen to her solo debut "The Dutchess" and be pleasantly surprised by a whole new Fergie. Introduced by the brassy big beats of  "London Bride," the disc is a collection of 14 slick and infectious tracks that makes it easily one of the most noteworthy pop records of the year. Who would've thought?

Yeah, sure. Most of the tunes on the album are rip offs that borrow from every sound, production trick, genre and vocal style that is in vogue right now. But savvy production mastermind Will.i.am deserves kudos for skilllfully recycling existing ideas to create pure pop perfection. His efforts actually help to to popularize many underground sounds. In fact, I'm convinced that without Diplo and M.I.A., "London Bridge" would have sounded a whole lot different.

"The Dutchess" features a range of different styles and moods. One of my favorite songs on the album is the jazzy "Clumsy" that includes some kicky electro grooves. She continues the bold street vibe of "London Bridge" on the next single "Fergalicious" that is based on Afro Rican "Give It All You Got" and JJ Fad's "Supersonic." She goes pop on the delicate "Glamorous," which is Fergie's take on Gwen Stefani's "Luxurious." The singer also daringly incorporates some reggae and even ska on "Voodoo Doll" and "Mary Jane Shoes" (that features Rita Marley).

Previously, I have not been impressed by Fergie's vocal range. But on heartfelt ballads like "All That I Got" and the John Legend produced "Finally" the singer tears it up Celine-style. The mid-tempo, acoustic "Big Guys Don't Cry" also prominently features her vocals and should definitely be a single contender.

Fergie's strongest lyrical stand is "Pedestal" that supposedly attacks gossip bloggers and other celebrity hounds. "Record sales are on the mark. And that's about the time the rumors start," she sings. "Who are you and what do you do that makes you think you're above me. But have you walked in my shoes?"

"The Dutchess" is by far one of 2006's biggest guilty pleasures. And even though sales are lagging in its second week of release, I'm convinced that "The Dutchess" will be around for a while.

September 27, 2006 in Album Reviews | Permalink

Comments

ok she looks like a slut in that picture and what kind of website are you peaple trying to run here this website doessent make any sense at all you peaple suck big time and Nobody cares about your stupid website showing a women dressed up like a slut you assholes and go do something better besides makind peaple dress up as sluts like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: robert at Sep 28, 2006 5:11:11 PM

Everything about the Black Eyed Peas I hate! Sorry.

Posted by: Stimpy586 at Sep 28, 2006 5:26:57 PM

Repugnant.

Posted by: at Sep 28, 2006 5:50:46 PM

You people make me laugh, only because you don't know your head from your ass, where does she look like a slut in that picture, and whoever did that review should really find something that they are good at, everybody as and will copy others, and the guy who hates the BEP mmmmm i wonder why, anyways all of you are hates, so just keep your heads up your asses and don't come back out.

Posted by: FergiesBoy at Sep 29, 2006 8:44:46 AM

thanks for this review, I FINALLY feel justified in my love of this cd. i am not a fan of fergie's, I dont get her as a performer, but this cd has been getting more play in my car than any other new release (and I have ALL the fall releases). It's just a perfect 2006 pop cd.

Posted by: Pop Muse at Sep 29, 2006 7:48:49 PM

everytime i want to like this album i remember all the good artists that she blatantly ripped off to make this heaping amalgam of shit.

Posted by: at Oct 3, 2006 9:02:26 PM

oh by the way.. obviously the record label is scrambling to do something about poor sales so they turned to arjan to try and get some blog cred ... laaaaame ... transparent!

Posted by: at Oct 3, 2006 9:04:04 PM

I've listened to the entire album. I think it was absolutely fantastic. It was quite different from her minor singing role as a member of the Black Eyed Peas

Posted by: Dan at Oct 5, 2006 5:30:40 AM

why where does she looks like a slut?i guess you say that from you ass

hey supporters say somthin!!!

Posted by: allfergie's at Oct 7, 2006 6:58:50 AM

Fergie is amazing!! I dont know what the fuck all of these other idiots are commenting, but they are dumbasses. Fergie is great no matter what she sings. All of you other people are just hatin', u jelous cocksuckers.

Posted by: Eden at Oct 8, 2006 10:39:32 AM

Fergie is great. I'm so glad I bought some tracks of this album on iTunes, and plan to buy the whole thing soon. She has such a vocal range. She used to be part of an all-girl group called Wild Orchid, then known as "Stacy Ferguson". That group was pure 90's R&B ear candy, and should have been bigger than they were. A little of that sound reppears in this album. It's great to hear this, she has such talent.

Posted by: Larry G at Oct 8, 2006 3:27:13 PM

wow people waste there time bashing just for the sake of bashing and have no real basis behind it! whats the point? oh people get off by seeing their little post on a site that not many will really see anyways! now that you' ve had your little orgasm are you done yet?... its lame!

Posted by: lamoids at Oct 12, 2006 9:16:02 AM

well Larry G, your having a bash now aren't you love!

Posted by: annie at Apr 13, 2007 2:26:36 PM

sorry Larry G, i meant to say Lamoids is having a bash!

Posted by: at Apr 13, 2007 2:29:35 PM

Fergie is brilliant! As is this album!

My Faves:
1. Fergalicious
2. Glamorous
3. Big Girls Don't Cry
4. London Bridge
5. Voodoo Doll
6. Here I Come
7. Pedestal
8. Finally
9. Losing My Ground
10. Clumsy
11. All That I Got

Not too fond of the other tracks - they're still good though.

Posted by: Miss Hannah Margaret Gray at Jun 30, 2007 1:36:08 PM

How can you people say that she is 'sluttish' and evrythink, shes brilliant !!! i love you fergie xx

Posted by: ellie at Dec 2, 2007 6:43:56 AM