« Rewind: Madonna and Nick Kamen "Each Time You Break My Heart" (1986) | Main | Sunday Confessions: Madonna or Kylie? »

Gwen Stefani Debuts New Songs

Arjanwrites_gwenvma05

Pink Pop Shampoo has the scoop on a few new Gwen Stefani songs that she has been performing during her current Harajuku Lover Tour. Her set includes the brand-new track "Orange County Girl" that features the autobiographical line "I'm just an Orange County girl living in an extraordinary world." She also performed the new tune "Candyland" in Phoenix, AZ earlier this week. Other new Stefani songs to look out for are "Breaking Up" and "Fluorescent Lights" that she wrote with No Doubt mate Tony Kanal.

In the vein of "Hollaback Girl," "Candyland" is a fun, sonic mishmash of samples that sounds as if it was recorded at a Munich Beerfest. It includes yodeling, a Bayern horn section and Gwen's Double Dutch-style chanting. Fun!

In related news: Gwen Stefani recently shot the video for her new single "Luxerious." She is also featured in Pharrell Williams' new video "Can I Have It Like That." (via Gwen Stefani Forum)

October 21, 2005 | Permalink

Comments

Who cares. SHe blows.

Posted by: Marie at Oct 21, 2005 6:29:17 PM

Love, Angel, Music, Baby is a classic, so I cannot wait to hear her new material

Posted by: Waddie G. at Oct 23, 2005 2:02:23 PM

Hey Arjan, Thanks for the nod. I love your blog!

Posted by: AlexAndy at Oct 23, 2005 10:00:02 PM

"I'm just an Orange County girl living in an extraordinary world."

That line's creative, Gwen. Good thing none of us remember that you used a startlingly similar line back int he mid-90s.

God she sucks.

Posted by: kev at Oct 25, 2005 7:25:30 AM

I get the impression that metaphor is neither a concept nor a vocabulary word within Gwen's grasp. Maybe she should try writing a song about something removed from her immediate time and space--and for bonus points, one that has a title which isn't also part of the chorus...

Posted by: kiki at Oct 29, 2005 10:18:48 AM

Posted by: kiki at Oct 29, 2005 10:19:35 AM

Posted by: kiki at Oct 29, 2005 10:20:20 AM

oh god no one said that its supposed to be life altering,its sugar pop plain and simple. So she writes about things that are around her, at least she writes her own songs which many pop princesses dont do.

Posted by: jen at Oct 29, 2005 4:16:59 PM

Her song "Candyland" is the madd notes!! that song is pretty hot! If she releases it as a single then it'll definitely be the new "Hollaback Girl" but hopefully it won't get played out like that.

Posted by: G Unit at Nov 3, 2005 11:51:10 AM

do u no where i can listen to orange county girl i heard it last night in concert and i loved it and really wanna here it again!

Posted by: sam at Nov 4, 2005 5:16:27 PM

Went to the concert the other night, excited to say the least. Bought 3 T's for my 5 year old daughter, my 6 year old neice, and my 32 year old self. After Gwen came out and was entertaining after her every wardrobe change, I began to realize that maybe this isn't the type of person I thought she would be. Also not the type of actions I want to promote to a 5 & 6 year old little girl(s).
I admired Gwen Stefani a whole lot before being disappointed at the concert. And trust me, my family and friends never thought that I could be disappointed by Gwen Stefani!
I also was a little disappointed in the fact that I was there to see HER and not her LAMB dancers that seemed to distract your attention away from Gwen. They were great dancers, but they were really stealing the stage- by their hard work of dancing.
I really wanted and expected to see her and be impressed by her talents and beauty, and instead couldn't get past the cuss words that she was speaking and these children were hearing.
Yes, I do understand that the "hollaback girl" song has cuss words in it, and that was expected. But I really didn't want to hear her express her feelings of being a "f***ing bitch whore slut" before the show. Does that even make sense?
I guess I had different impressions of her being in No Doubt band from her solo act. I also made the mistake of thinking I would be impressed even more.

Posted by: mirm at Nov 11, 2005 9:26:30 AM

Candyland, for those in the know, samples part of 'the lonely goatheard' from the sound of music for it's beat; so she pwned us! besides, do any of YOU have a record deal, or a best selling album, or a sold-out tour? No!?! so shut up and stop hating. you go Gwen!!

Posted by: Mr. Prince at Jan 17, 2006 7:32:06 AM

How messed up is that?
People actually choose to spend there time saying nasty things about people that have a life!
JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't like her, why bother?

Posted by: voodoo at Apr 16, 2006 5:40:18 PM

If you dont like her why would you bother commenting on her??? What a bunch of jealous retards! The Neptunes produced Hollabackgirl, Orange County girl, Candy land/wind it up and breaking up just incase people didnt know!

Posted by: Jay at May 6, 2006 11:02:06 AM

Orange county girl rocksssss:-)
i've been looking for this song for a month and so on i have only recorded song from youtube;)

i'm waiting for new gwen's album;)

wishes frm Poland, Aleksandra