« Rufus Wainwright Live in Atlanta | Main | Nudisco Versus Snoop/Justin Timberlake »

Interview with Brandon Flowers

Newxboxrevealed0505050685cs

There is no denying that the Killers are having an incredible year. The band's debut "Hot Fuss" is high up in the pop charts around the world and their break-out hit "Mr. Brightside"  even cracked the Billboard singles top ten here in the U.S. It is seems that their relentless touring to get their music noticed is finally paying off.

I spoke with lead singer Brandon Flowers early April in Long Beach, CA and a few days later in Los Angeles, CA about the success, the new album and the gay rumors surrounding his persona. Much of the interview is published in this month's GENRE Magazine.  A portion of the interview did not make the final edit and is featured today on Arjan Writes (I posted some of Flowers' comments about the Bravery earlier). Flowers discusses the band's new record, Britney Spears and his religion among other things.

Congrats with the success of your sold out U.S. tour. It seems you guys have been touring non-stop for the last 18 months...

Yeah, it has been a long year and half.

I heard you played some new songs…
Yeah, we play two new tracks "Stereo Of Lies" and "Where Is She." [The band has featured other new tracks after this interview took place.]

It must be fun to mix in some new stuff...
It feels really good to us. We have been playing twelve songs for so long now and to play some new ones sounds really fresh.

With all this touring how do you stay in shape?
I think our show is a work out for us. I don't feel I'm doing my job unless I'm sweating.

You had a Mormon upbringing. Was your experimentation with fashion and make up allowed? Were you a bit of a rebel?

I wouldn't say I was a rebel, but I don't think the make-up would go down so well at church.

Does religion still play an important part in your life?
Oh yes. I believe in God and everything very much. My faith is very important.

Do your religious values impact how you feel about gays and their equal rights?
No. I think everybody should have equal rights. The church that I am in has never been opposed to that. It is a very tolerant gathering.

When will you start to record the new album?
We are looking at October or November for that. The new record should come out early 2006.

What will be the mood of the album?
I think it is going to be a little more organic. There will still be keyboards, but also natural sounds like piano and organs, and also a lot more vocal harmonies. Ronnie, our drummer, has a mic now and he'll be singing along more. It is going to sound a lot of more classic.

Time for some quick word association:

Elton John
… The queen

Fame
… What you get is no tomorrow

Fans
… Wonderful

Andy
… Andy was a friend of mine

A pregnant Britney Spears
… Bitch

Vegas
… My home

Morrissey
.. Hero

Sam Endicott
… Wanna be

June 17, 2005 in Interviews | Permalink

Comments

Does he know Britney Spears? why would he call her that for being pregnant! HE is an ignorant B*tch!

Posted by: Karla at Jun 17, 2005 10:49:29 AM

oh so he is gay? =P

Posted by: melissa at Jun 17, 2005 11:54:35 AM

ha loving the britney spears one.. so true

Posted by: amanda at Jun 17, 2005 12:05:26 PM

i love brandon!!

i think your amazing and i love you.

=)))))))

Posted by: ashley at Jun 17, 2005 12:09:27 PM

he doesnt even know britney spears. i hope he doesnt get married or have a girlfriend that has a child. he'll be a rude a$$hole and call her a bitch too. grow up buddy.

Posted by: amber at Jun 17, 2005 1:57:35 PM

It's cool if he calls her a bitch. I mean, we are all entitled to our own opinions..that's why we live in America! I think Brandon is awesome and fagulous, and all those things...

Posted by: roy at Jun 17, 2005 2:35:28 PM

there have been innumerable documentations of people interacting with britney spears on the street, and her being a chunch. so she probably IS a bitch.

at the very least, she's *real* dumb

Posted by: dustin at Jun 17, 2005 3:20:19 PM

why does he think she is a bitch. I think she is not the sharpest tool in the shed but bitch??? I doubt it

Posted by: Rachel at Jun 17, 2005 3:26:07 PM

about the post earlier about someone hoping that Brandon doesn't get married...

I guess you don't know him aswell, then :S ... he's engaged :P

everyone's entitled to an opinion. that's his. some may agree with it, some may disagree. what is it to you? so f*ck off.

i'm truly sorry, but I'm sick and tired of these unecessary comments about him/the band. if you go to the Official board, you'll know what I'm talking about ;)

Posted by: julie at Jun 17, 2005 3:31:54 PM

about the post earlier about someone hoping that Brandon doesn't get married...

I guess you don't know him aswell, then :S ... he's engaged :P

i'm truly sorry, but I'm sick and tired of these unnecessary comments about him/the band. if you go to the Official board, you'll know what I'm talking about ;)

Posted by: julie at Jun 17, 2005 3:32:59 PM

I think he may be a little jealous that Britney Spears is a better singer than him, but who cares. It's his opinion. But even though he does have room to have an "opinion" (being an American citizen and all), it does say something about someone's class when they use the word "bitch." And didn't he say he believed in God? That's not very Christian-like to be using expletives. He's probably your typical Christian hypocrite.

Posted by: JJ at Jun 17, 2005 4:45:41 PM

i'm glad so many of you feel so close to britney that you defend her against another pop star calling her a bitch.

i don't think it's jealousy or that she's pregnant. i think britney's a bitch, but i'm not jealous of her singing "abilities" (come on, i kno the ones defending britney have seen chaotic, and there's no way you can say she can sing), nor does her being a mother affect the fact that she is a bitch.

why don't we just agree that both brandon and britney have crazy fans?

Posted by: Andy at Jun 17, 2005 5:30:43 PM

brandon flowers is wrong. britney isn't a bitch. She's just a hypocritical dumb cunt. Quite literally too, with respect to the latter two words.

Posted by: gina at Jun 17, 2005 11:25:09 PM

Once again: BRANDON IS NOT GAY. He is engaged.

Posted by: Meg at Jun 18, 2005 6:16:41 AM

hey arjan,d'you mind if we use this article on our brandon flowers' fansite?we'll link ya.

Posted by: norz at Jun 18, 2005 10:11:45 AM

A pregnant Britney Spears
… Bitch

so true

Posted by: vivian at Jun 18, 2005 10:31:01 AM

ive got the full mp3 of Ooh LA LA if someone hasnt already sent it to you

Posted by: mac at Jun 18, 2005 10:47:57 AM

hahahahah! some people are strange. Why would brandon be jealous of britney's singin voice! he's actually a better singer...cos well. be honest. she doesnt really sing, does she?
She gurns. in a processed robotic wail.

Posted by: nat at Jun 18, 2005 12:35:19 PM

"Once again: BRANDON IS NOT GAY. He is engaged."

yeah! tom cruise isn't gay either. he's engaged too! wait...

Posted by: Andy at Jun 18, 2005 1:28:29 PM

I think this post has drawn out some very...err... young... fans!

I love Killers- they are great fun. But please, Brandon does what he needs to do to get press. He is a little young to be badmouthing everybody though. Leave it to old bitched out queens like Elton John.

Pathetic though she is, Britney does not come across as a "bitch" and for him to say that in the same interview where he talks about religion makes me doubt much of what he says. I'd also like to know what he means about his church being tolerant. Hmmph. There are many nice Mormans, as there are Catholics, but that does NOT make the church as whole "tolerant."

Brandon is a baby boy and he sounds like it. I think he will end up regretting much of what he says when he grows up.

Posted by: xolondon at Jun 19, 2005 5:08:59 AM

hahahaha.... i love how all the britney fans jump to defense when they read that...
Dude, none of us know ANY of these people personally- so who's to say she's a bitch, or he's gay, or whatever.
havent you people heard paris hilton dissing the lead singer of Maroon5? I don't see no Adam fans running off their mouths at paris.
get a life people
people are dying in some countries and your worried about one guys opinion *rolls eyes*
xoxo
henna

Posted by: Henna at Jun 19, 2005 5:40:14 AM

Brandon Flowers Rocks! Fuck anyone who says he's gay or ugly or a bitch or whatever people said before. He's hot,sings
great and is in the best band ever! Stop hating! I LOVE YOU BRANDON!!!!

Love,Mizz Flowers <3 <3

Posted by: Mizz Flowers at Jun 19, 2005 4:05:40 PM

Ah, well it seems America is a free country, and Brandon is entitled to his own opinion. I think there's a good chance that he has met Britney with all The Killers fame that they have been experiencing lately.
As for rumors concerning his homosexuality, as I recall, gay men are attracted to men, and from what I know, Brandon Flowers is married to a woman.

Posted by: Megan at Jun 19, 2005 9:50:01 PM

i don't understand why people think that when people get married (or engaged) to someone of the opposite sex, it means they're not gay. gay people are only legally banned from marrying members of the same sex, as are heterosexuals. who you marry isn't necessarily who you love or are attracted to, and the sooner people get used to that fact, the sooner they'll be able to join us here in the real world. people do what they have to do to survive. it'd be a great world where that equals what we all want to do with our lives, but it just ain't the case.

that being said, i am not making any conjectures about brandon's preference. but i love the eyeliner.

Posted by: Andy at Jun 19, 2005 10:21:33 PM

Henna, petal, I said Brit was pathetic. I am not a fan. But yes, I think it is a little... bull.. for a Mormon (who trumps his Mormon-ness!) to call a woman a "bitch" in public.

Sorry, but mindless Brandon fans are no more intelligent than mindless Britney fans. And get a life doll, people are dying in countries and you're posting on boards trying to boost your self-esteem.

Brandon is not married btw, he is "engaged"

Posted by: xolondon at Jun 20, 2005 5:34:48 AM