« Interview with Sam Endicott of The Bravery (Part 1) | Main | Advertiser Love »

Interview with Sam Endicott of The Bravery (Part 2)

Arjanwrites_bravery4
The Bravery (left to right: Michael, John, Sam, Mike and Anthony)

In today's final episode of my interview with the Bravery's Sam Endicott, the singer talks a bit more about writing the perfect song, the hype surrounding the band, gay fans and the stories in the press about the rivalry between the Bravery and the Killers. Read Part 1 here. If you have not had a chance to hear and see the Bravery, check out their latest music video:

Arjanwrites_video  "An Honest Mistake" by The Bravery [Real] [Windows]

You said earlier that anxiety has driven a lot of your songwriting and that making music has been liberating for you. Do you feel that the hype surrounding the band creates new anxiety about not living up to the expectations?
That's a good question. I think in the end I'm always an anxious person. If there is nothing to worry about I will create something in my head. As far as the hype is concerned, we don't try to think about it too much. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves. Outside pressure doesn't add to it that much. It is not like that people notice the band now and all of a sudden I have to write some good songs [laughs].

You are becoming quite popular with gay indie gentlemen…
I guess.

How do you feel about that?
Yeah. It is interesting. The first cover we had was a gay publication. Our whole thing is not to appeal to a specific niche or group. It is all about doing what do and we love what we do. You just hope that everybody out there has a chance to hear it. That's why we play all over the world to get our music out there. We're psyched about everybody that is down with our music.

It is probably the diverse elements in your music that appeals to a wide range of people. The disco rock of the Bravery is appreciated by gays, and the eyeliner of course...
[Laughs] That's great.

What is your opinion about gay marriage?
First let me say that we are not a political band. You really need to know what you're talking about. There's nothing more painful than a band that pretends to know when they really have no clue what they're talking about. I don't want to speak for the band about that. My personal opinion is that you have to look at it from two sides. There is a religious aspect and a legal aspect. And I think people are getting these two confused. From a legal perspective there is no reason why gays should not be able to get married. I think many religious people are getting it confused and feel threatened. They are two different issues and as far as I'm concerned church and state are separated (. . .) I think religious people feel that their religion is tempered with. But I believe some of their old standards need to be interpreted in a way that makes sense today.

There are a lot of stories in the UK press about the rivalry between you and the Killers. Is there any truth to it?
There is no rivalry between us and the Killers. It is frustrating for us and for them that we are compared all the time. We never even heard of the Killers until our album was almost done. And I'm sure they never heard of us. We're not part of the same scene and totally independent of each other. It is kind of annoying. The only thing is that we are on the same label and drive their old tour van. Okay, let me say this. This is our official stance on the Killers. We met the drummer Ronnie Vanucci and he was totally cool. So the Bravery is down with Vanucci.

As a songwriter what do you consider the perfect song?
The best art of any medium you can enjoy on two levels. On one level if you really focus on it and you are knowledgeable about it, you can get a lot out of it. But on another level you don't have to be knowledgeable at all. You hear it and you just like it or you don't. The best art you enjoy immediately on a surface level and if you spend time on it, you get even more out of it. It is like a Picasso, you don't have to explain it to enjoy it. But if you do know about all that shit you get even more out of it. The perfect song is one that [works on these two levels]. You hear it on the radio and you say "fuck yeah." Nobody is required to know about music - you either like or you don't. But if you get into the song it might get even better. That's why the Beatles are the best. They wrote songs like that, especially in the latter years.

Is there any song on the album that stands out for you personally?
Not really. They are all special to me.

The songs "No Brakes" and "Hot Pursuit" use a driving metaphor. Do you have a fascination with racing?
[Laughs] No, it is just a good metaphor to use to sort of write about being out of control and how you can grab the wheel and let it guide you through life. I think speed can be liberating. You should know that "Hot Pursuit" is a B-side track that will only appear as a bonus track on the U.K version of the album.

March 15, 2005 in Interviews | Permalink

Comments

I was just wondering, how old is Sam Endicott of the Bravery?
thanks....

Posted by: anonymous at Mar 21, 2005 1:27:10 PM

How old is Sam Endicott?
I'm a very big fan!

Posted by: Tiffany Harlow at Mar 21, 2005 3:36:22 PM

sam is 28...

Posted by: gill at Mar 23, 2005 2:42:17 PM

how do you know he is 28?

Posted by: anonymous at Mar 25, 2005 9:46:54 AM

how do you know he is 28?

Posted by: anonymous at Mar 25, 2005 9:47:31 AM

Nice interview, Arjan!

Posted by: Coolfer at Mar 25, 2005 12:18:01 PM

I'm a definite new fan of The Bravery and had a chance to be up close at their show in L.A. @ the Troubadour. These guys are hot and awesome live. This interview is good and had little bits of info other mainstream interviews didn't have. Sam Endicott is sooooo hot up close!

Posted by: Lisa at Mar 28, 2005 10:55:15 AM

Does anyone know when Sam's birthday is? like what starsign and stuff?

Thanks

Posted by: Tam at Mar 28, 2005 1:29:06 PM

Yeah, How do you know that Sam is 28? He is SO hot, damnit. Gee, does anyone know how old Michael Zakarin is?<333
Okey.. if you have the andwer.. can you please email me?
thanks
Lisa<3

Posted by: lisa at Mar 28, 2005 8:00:31 PM

Wow..Some of you are pathetic. Have you heard that it's about the music? Not the looks. Why don't you do society a favor and grow the f*ck up! Who cares how old he is, who cares how good looking he is. I'm sure he'd like to kick half of you people in the face. HE'S HUMAN. Leave him alone morons. Focus on the f*cking music or don't pay attention at all! They'd be better off without childish fans like you people that ONLY like them because the lead singer is goodlooking.

Posted by: Dom at Mar 28, 2005 10:38:39 PM

P.S. Awesome interview. Sam has rather interesting aspects and i'm glad to see that he is pretty supportive of the gay marriage thing as well. He's really smart and i love the music. Great songwriter, and a great singer. Wonderful guy. <3

Posted by: Dom at Mar 28, 2005 10:41:28 PM

F*ck u Dom! Who the hell u think u are? I wouldnt be reading this if the music was shit and my taste in music is supreme. Dont be calling me shallow if i want a detail or two about the lead singer and it would be poor to ignore the persona behind the music and not appreciate the whole package of look and music. That is what creates the atmosphere of a band when u see them live. Its not how good looking he is, its all about how he creates a style and pulls it off. Unfortunately i can admit that some people cannot tell the difference.

Posted by: Tam at Mar 30, 2005 11:04:41 AM

Tam, Dom, just listen to the music yeh? I do find it inspirational, however, to hear that Sam is older than I am - you reach a stage in life when it becomes difficult glean inspiration from a nineteen year-old learning to play guitar, and indeed, I am not finding issue with that particular age-group ... but it's just nice for me.

Posted by: at Mar 30, 2005 11:54:26 AM

hey i just wanna say that i love the bravery and the fact that some people compare them to the strokes isn't that bad cause the strokes kick major ass and they are my fave band.....people, just enjoy the music, its awesome....ok bye

Posted by: Sue at Apr 1, 2005 7:03:48 AM

i went to college with him. i think he's 30. He graduated Vassar in 1997. he used to be a blond rasta guy in college. he also used to wear skirts. he was pretty gross.

Posted by: j at Apr 4, 2005 1:47:36 PM

actually, i think he graduated in 1999, so provided he was 22 when that happened, he should be around 28 now.

their show here in seattle was great, and i can't wait til they come back to town.

Posted by: Andy at Apr 4, 2005 9:44:18 PM

Actually, he didn't start school until 21. He is in his early 30s. And I know him - he was a skank in college and an egotistical jerk now.

Posted by: Kevin at Apr 5, 2005 1:48:26 PM

I LOVE THE BRAVERY, THEY ARE SO AWSOME, SAM, REALLY UNDERSTANDS THE MUSIC, AND THE FORM OF IT. HE IS AN AWSOME MUSCIAN, AND NOT TO MENTION HOTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: not telling, SO GO AWAY! at Apr 14, 2005 3:12:42 PM

Sam is so not an Egotistical jerk. The complete opposite.
I think someone just sounds a bit jealous.

Posted by: Hannah at Apr 16, 2005 12:55:46 PM

I think the man is a legend but hey just my opinion. I can listen to their songs over and over again. The bravery are great. I think he looks around 30 and well who cares what he was like in college. Sam is great now.

Posted by: Nic at Apr 17, 2005 10:56:40 AM

hey lisa...you are the one who needs to shut the f**k up because you don't know what your talking about. did it occurr to you just once that the people who are trying to find out his age just want to know precisely because he is so experienced in music? i guess it wouldn't occurr to someone like you though would it. so f**k off!

Posted by: anonymous at Apr 30, 2005 5:40:51 PM

oh sorry lisa!! i didn't mean that to you...i was looking at the wrong name...my last post was directed towards Dom....SORRY LISA!!

Posted by: anonymous at Apr 30, 2005 5:43:26 PM

who cares how old he is, he has a gorgeous voice and everything else

Posted by: kk at May 4, 2005 3:14:10 PM

Ooh, Andy does sound jealous. Sam Endicott is a talented and beautiful man....I guess I would be jealous too.

I love that The Bravery wrote and produced their own music. It shows how much artistic integrity they have. That makes me enjoy the album even more.

About all the comparisons to other bands, I think its sad the way people feel they need to pigeon hole every new artist. c'mon....its a great album! Great lyrics AND sound. Stop it with the comparisons already and just enjoy the music.

Posted by: monica** at May 4, 2005 4:19:16 PM

why do i sound jealous? i don't get it.

...or readers need to make sure who wrote what before they address the wrong person time and time again. the "posted by" comes AFTER the message that the person wrote.

Posted by: Andy at May 4, 2005 10:17:39 PM