« Special Voting Alert! | Main | Sneak Peek: Emma "Free Me" »

George Michael "Round Here" Video

Arjanwrites_roundhere
Scene from "Round Here"

The release of George Michael's "Round Here" passed by without many people noticing. In fact, the single is Michael's second worse performing single. The only other single to have charted lower was "Cowboys & Angels," which reached #45 in the European pop chart back in 1991. "Round Here" is the third single taken from the singer's 2004 album "Patience."

The poor sales have been blamed on a lack of airplay and advertising, as well the delayed release. I'd like to add to this list the very sleepy and tedious video for the song (that is mediocre to begin with). I guess Sony did not have any budget left after the videos for "Amazing" and "Flawless." On top of this, I wonder if music stations still play videos that are over 5 minutes long.

The "Round Here" video shows George singing in a recording studio interspersed with grainy home video style footage of his London childhood haunts.

Stream the entire video at Launch UK/Ireland (free registration required), or watch a clip of the video.

January 4, 2005 in Music Videos | Permalink

Comments

it is time to retire, mr michael

Posted by: hotboi at Jan 4, 2005 6:29:34 AM

I actually love the album. Round Here isn't the song to do, though. I don't think it is time for Mr. Michael to retire at all. Whin Sir. Elton John hasn't had a non-originalish non-Disney thought in years (arguably even his original thoughts weren't original) George Michael has consistantly produced most of his own stuff since he wrote Careless Whisper as a teen.

What about putting forth some moving songs? If you want something slower go with American Angel. We tend to like things from George that are up-beat or mid-tempo. Stick with that.

Posted by: Toby at Jan 4, 2005 7:40:03 AM

I agree with Toby. He could have put out a better track from the album.

Posted by: Mike at Jan 4, 2005 10:06:18 AM

I just voted for you!! Nice blog!!

Posted by: JustAgirl at Jan 5, 2005 5:33:52 AM

I love round here!

Posted by: at Jan 18, 2005 6:37:38 PM

I actually like most the song Round Here... See how tastes are different!!!! I love Round Here, just as all the music he does, since ever liking it...:-)

Posted by: Mariella at Jan 25, 2005 5:31:27 AM

I love Round here and I loved the video too!!!. It´s one of the best songs of George Michael!!!!

Posted by: Alicia at Jan 29, 2005 10:08:22 AM

I think this is one of the best songs George Michael wrote. Very calm and deep . And the video matches the song concept.

Posted by: Yana at Feb 1, 2005 12:21:50 AM

True, this isn't a traditional pop single and GM's career has shifted toward the more adult contemporary direction. Still, as a stand alone song, this is a well tempered masterpiece that evokes images of how parents first met and the nostalgia of our childhood.

Posted by: Dante Van at Apr 22, 2005 10:53:15 PM

Just to let ya know, they guys in elkland ain't gay. I am an old Goat Explosion fan who is in connection with people who know the band. Jon has a girfriend, and on Elkland's old website, Jesse was engaged to be married and maybe is now. Also, read this website if you do not believe me.

Posted by: Joy at Jul 31, 2005 4:52:20 PM

Vous le trouvez comment ? Moi ,

je le trouve trooooooooooop

moche !

Posted by: at Aug 5, 2005 8:01:45 AM

strange, both Cowboys and Angels, and Round Here are favorites of mine.
I think that generally slower, less flashy songs don't do as well on the charts. I think George can still be very creative. At least he isn't piggy-backing on every current musical trend a la Madonna.

Posted by: mgram at Sep 6, 2006 9:21:31 AM

Sie haben eine schöne Seite!

Posted by: liebe at Feb 27, 2009 9:09:13 AM