« Party Scene | Main | Mylo Rises from the Ashes (+ MP3 samples) »

Loving John Legend

Arjanwrites_johnlegend
Legend at the VMAs in August

Newcomer John Legend makes me believe that the neo soul movement is stronger than ever before. Together with Van Hunt, Jill Scott, Floetry, the Roots and Angie Stone, Legend presents a crisp, clean sound that captures both heart and soul. I first met the singer/pianist at the MTV Video Music Awards in Miami and I was impressed by his charismatic, yet humble presence. Groomed by Kanye West, this boy is made for the music business.

Legend was born in Ohio and moved to Philadelphia at age 16 to attend college. After finishing his studies, he moved to New York City to play different nightclubs. He quickly built a reputation as a session pianist working with artists like Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys, Talib Kewli, Lauryn Hill and Kanye West. Ultimately, it was West who signed Legend to his own production company KonMan Music. Legend is currently on tour with Usher and Kanye West.

The singer is set to release his first major release "Get Lifted" on January 5. An album that is buzzing with excitement, and promises to combine modern-day sentiments with an old-school flair. His sound is rooted in gospel and soul, but includes elements of hip-hop (not a suprise with Kanye West as his mentor). His lyrics are smart and witty to create an overall upbeat, feel good vibe in his music.

Check out Legend's first single "Used To Love U," which is available for free at iTunes this week.

Watch the video for "Used To Love U" [Quicktime or Real]

October 30, 2004 in New Music | Permalink

Comments

I came upon your website while doing some research for a grad project on Kanye West's popularity in the gay community. Would you be able to provide any feedback? Just curious to know if he has a fanbase in the gay community. Any info would really help!

Thanks!

Posted by: Diane Velasquez at Oct 23, 2005 5:47:15 PM

there have been alot of gay rumors about john legend. even in his own hometown of springfield, ohio. i really wouldn't care if he was or not. does anyone else think he might be?

Posted by: anoynomous at Jan 17, 2006 6:28:15 AM

Yes I think so, Its alright its 2006, get over it! that has no bearing on his ability to sing. I just wish that people would not worry about such things as sexual orientation. Its not our business.

Posted by: Kipkeino Dior at Feb 17, 2006 11:50:19 PM

I think that John Legend is a great talent. However being "groomed" by Kanye its only inevitable for him to be gay. Sadly. I'm praying immensly for his deliverance.

Posted by: Anthony Mcbride at Mar 30, 2006 3:03:15 PM

but i think that he was already gay before meeting kanye west.

Posted by: anoyomous at Jun 2, 2006 1:49:22 PM

who cares if he's gay or straight, his music is great...people need to stay out of other people's bedrooms.

Posted by: Rendani at Aug 7, 2006 7:15:10 AM

I saw John Legend peroform with Jack Herrea and Xklusive in NewYork in 2004 Now John Legend is one of the most talented singers. He's doing great and Xklusive is now JADN RUSH www.jadnrush.com good luck guys and John Legend your doing your thang!

Posted by: Norma Lewis at Sep 25, 2006 11:10:36 PM

It is a shame we are now selective on good music based on their sexual preference. However, IF John is gay or not, he truly brings a refreshing new sound to all the CD's I have purchased, and thrown away; or sold! The bottom line is HE is a great singer, AND who cares who he is sleeping with. All I know, it is not me, and I still buy his music. Did you stop buying Elton John's music or Luther Vandrose 's music--ok then get over it and realize he is here to stay because of his talent, and not who he is sleeping with--Who CARES! I just want good MUSIC!!!!!!! you DEE.DEE.DEE's

Posted by: CJ at Nov 7, 2006 11:28:52 PM

Luther Vandross was gay ?

Posted by: at Feb 26, 2007 3:39:02 AM

i love john legend,even if he's gay.that makes him more sexy!

Posted by: glen lusenga at Apr 3, 2007 9:59:09 AM

HIS GAY DATS WAT MY GAYDAR TELLS ME AND ITS OKAY IF HIS NOT I WLD GIV HIM SUM ADVICE TO CUM OUT OF DA CLOSET COZ ITS A DARK PLACE TO BE IN JONNY! IF U DO CUM OUT YOU WONT WANNA GO BAK LOL!

Posted by: WAWA at Jun 12, 2007 3:57:17 AM

YES LLUTHER VANDROSS WAS GAY! TAKE MY ADVICE JL DNT BECOME ANOTHER LUTHER VANDROSS AND DIE IN DA CLOSET :- (

Posted by: ANDY at Jun 12, 2007 4:02:25 AM

I dnt really care if mr.legend is gay or not i jst knw dat he is a good lookin sexy baritoned boy! It dnt really matter if he cums ouwt the closet coz at the end of the day its him who has 2 face people's discrimination. John if bein in the closet makes u happy then stay there nd dnt becum another sisqo frm dru_hill i love dat boy lmao

Posted by: at Jul 13, 2007 8:42:56 AM

You know that song "save Room"? After listening to the lyrics, it's become apparent that the song is about a guy trying to get a virgin to have sex with him.

Verse 1 speaks about how they are together and not to leave

Verse 2 says that sex hurts the first time but that sex is good after the intial shock.

"This just might hurt a little
love hurts sometimes when you do it right
"Don't be affraid of a little bit of pain
pleasure is just on the other side

"Let down your guard just a little
I keep you safe in these arms of mine
"Hold on to me - pretty baby
You will see I can be all you need
"

Anyone else notice this??

Posted by: ballen at Oct 5, 2007 10:42:07 AM

Well i dont think that is what the song means that.i think the song means that love can hurt you but it wont always hurt it will get better.

Posted by: at May 29, 2008 9:14:55 PM

he is gay or not i just do not care and that wont stop me loving him.

Posted by: sphiwe at Nov 17, 2008 12:46:19 PM

hey check out the lyric's on she dont have to know on get lifted the part about going to dc and holding hand in the streets its starts of saying then he as me to sneak out of town for just a day or three hold hand in the streets publicly all through the streets cause they dont know yoou and they dont know me

Posted by: charlie mcrae at Jan 16, 2009 6:12:05 AM

Dont talk shit about my man people should mind their own business. my man is straight not not gay.

Posted by: Dineo Mashao at Apr 15, 2009 1:45:08 AM

Wow,it's a post of long history .

Posted by: MIMI at May 10, 2009 1:51:42 AM