« "I'm Too Sexy" | Main | Goldfrapp: Wonderful Electric »

Mystery Surrounding Moyet's New Album Revealed

kdlang_alisonmoyet
k.d lang and Alison Moyet

UPDATE (8/2): Richard wrote that Moyet has posted the track listing on her fan forum.

Two of my favorite female vocalists will be singing other people's songs this summer. On "Hymns of the 49th Parallel," k.d. lang pays homage to fellow Canadian artists such as Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and Neil Young.

Early September, British singer Alison Moyet will release "Voice" on which she also presents a compilation of covers. The album is produced by Anne Dudley (Art of Noise) who won an Academy Award for "The Full Monty" score in 1997.

"Voice" has been surrounded by mystery. The official tracklisting was taken off the Sanctuary Records web site and removed from a formal press release for no clear reason only days after it was first published. Moyet's previous album "Hometime" was leaked months before its release much to the dismay of the singer.

Arjan was told that the popular '80s pop star does not want this to happen again and has refused to give even the song titles up until the last moment.

Sources close to the Moyet recording have provided Arjan with exclusive information about the "secret" tracklisting.

The records turns out to be a romantic songbook with covers from European and American composers. I can confirm that the following tracks will be included on the new CD:

God Give Me Strength (Bacharach/Costello)
The Man I Love (Gershwin)
Dido's Lament (Purcell)
Je Crois Entendre Encore (Bizet)
La Chanson Des Vieux Amants (Brel)

"Voice" will hit stores in the UK on September 6th. No US release date has been announced at this time.

July 28, 2004 in New Music | Permalink

Comments

I read that it will also include "Cry Me A River"

Posted by: xolondon at Jul 28, 2004 6:12:46 AM

With Anne Dudley twiddling the knobs I would expect the recordings to be quite lush and romantic in feel. It's always a good thing to welcome Moyet's voice back into the studio.

Posted by: Andwedanced at Jul 28, 2004 9:02:45 AM

Sorry, I forgot to post this previously.
Here is the full track listing, from my sources:

Windmills Of Your Mind
The Man I Love
Almost Blue
Je Crois Entendre
What Are You Doing For The Rest Of Your Life
God Give Me Strength
Raggle Taggle Gypsies
Dido's Lament
Le Chanson Des Vieux Amants
Cry Me A River
Bye Bye Blackbird

Posted by: NeilRecords at Aug 4, 2004 9:40:24 PM

a camp, cabaret laden covers album (The man that got away?! eeeek!) seems a bizarre career move after the triumph that was Hometime, Anne Dudley or not..... but it's still always great to hear THAT voice...and doesn't she just get more gorgeous as she gets older? Awesome lady.

Posted by: russ t at Aug 17, 2004 7:26:44 PM

...you can hear snippets of the tracks at www.alisonmoyet.com

I've had a listen... sounds deeply unimpressive to me... very adult orientated and bland.... a shame.

More original material, please!

Posted by: russ t at Aug 23, 2004 8:19:51 PM

I would say the snippets are a good taster, but certainly do not do the album justice. God Give Me Strength is a very sensitive and moving rendition of the Costello/Bacharach song, while the new version of Cry Me A River has a great jazz feel, especially with the extended instrumental break - Voice is a great showcase for the range of Alison's singing.
The genres that Alison is working in on this album definitely may not be for everyone but give the whole album a listen before making your mind up if it is for you! :)

Posted by: Steve Coats at Aug 23, 2004 11:47:25 PM

...absolutely fair comment.

I'll buy it... as I buy anything by Alison - and it's true, the snippets aren't a good indicator.

It's rare to hear an artist sing with such love and passion - Ms Moyet could sing a shopping list and make it sound heartbreaking. I hope it does well, we all need to hear this lady sing again, covers or not.

Posted by: russ t at Aug 25, 2004 7:19:32 AM

Heard the samples...no comment.
DM

Posted by: Dan M at Aug 25, 2004 9:15:19 AM

Heard the Moyet samples...no comment.
DM

Posted by: Dan M at Aug 25, 2004 9:15:30 AM

... the album is worth the price for the jaw-droppingly great versions of Costello's 'Almost Blue' and possibly Alison's greatest vocal work of her career on 'Dido's Lament - when I am Laid in Earth' alone.

Posted by: russ t at Sep 7, 2004 6:24:57 PM