« Let Love Rule | Main | More Ono Quotes »

Drooling over Scissor Sisters

scissorsisters

Not since Fischerspooner have I seen a band that is as deliciously fun as Scissor Sisters. Their catchy '80s inspired sound has a crunchy edge that captures rock venues and dancefloors with equal intensity. Jake Shears, Ana Matronic, Babydaddy, Del Marquis and Paddy Boom are quickly starting to make a name for themselves by challenging every expectation.

Last week week, their self-titled debut record hit the number one spot in the British album chart. The record will formally be released in the US on July 27th. However, a digital version is already available at Apple's iTunes (music link).

The Sisters' handlers are now carefully plotting the group's introduction in the US. Out Magazine has been chosen as a primary vehicle to launch the band. I was granted an interview with singer Jake Shears, which is under embargo until Out Magazine appears on August 15th.

Scissor Sisters counts three gay members, including singer Jake Shears. He does not like to be compared to some of the '80s gay bands that paved the way for their success. "It's irritating when we start getting compared to the Village People or Frankie Goes to Hollywood," he says in the July issue of Paper Magazine. "We're not closeted but the girls don't seem to care. I'll be up on stage and looking down at the front row, and they'll be literally drooling."

Their debut album is a memorable mix of hooky guitar riffs, fierce electro sleaze and plenty of decadence. The record includes their infamous version of Pink Floyd's rock classic "Comfortably Numb" which gracefully transforms into the first single "Take Your Mama," a full-blown club anthem with Bee Gees-styled vocals. "Return to Oz" handles about the serious issue of party drugs in the gay community and shows listeners a serious side of the Sisters.

The group also announced a full-scale US tour this summer. Click on the "Continue Reading" link for a full list of (unconfirmed) tour dates and cities.

Scissor Sisters Tour Dates (unconfirmed):

9/24/04 Seattle, WA @ Neumoa
9/25/04 Portland, OR @ Douglas Fir
9/29/04 Los Angeles, CA @ Avalon
9/30/04 San Diego, CA @ SOMA

July 12, 2004 in Music News | Permalink

Comments

My boyfriend David brought this album home with him last month from his latest trip to Scotland, and he and I have worn the sucker out already! I can't believe it isn't even released in the US yet. We're ready for their next album. Loving SS!

"Tits on the Radio" is dead-on social commentary. It's about time someone tackled this issue. I mean, you really can't see tits on the radio. I'm glad SS had the courage to speak up. :)

JM

Posted by: Jason at Jul 13, 2004 6:20:12 AM

I'm looking for ticket sales on the tour dates, but am having trouble finding the September U.S. shows. Any ideas, and are these yet official?

Posted by: Mark Davis at Jul 13, 2004 11:43:10 AM

I saw the Scissor Sisters live last night in Montreux Switzerland. Amazing! These guys have a chemistry between them which makes their live show the sexiest thing I've ever seen on a stage. They clearly have fun and communicate it to the audience with just the right amount of trashy camp. And the musicianship is definitely there as well. Go and see them!!

Posted by: Steph at Jul 14, 2004 3:00:49 AM

I am SO glad the Sissor Sisters are finally getting released here in America! We need them DESPERATELY!

I saw them last night at The Troubador here in LA, and I was COMPLETELY and UTTERLY - BLOWN AWAY!

I've been spinning music in clubs since 1981, and I've seen alot of bands live - so this statement is not being posted lightly. They were just phenomenal on stage! All those great songs from the CD just came alive with an energy, warmth, power, and playfullness that just blew me away.

PLUS - I got to stand next to ROBBIE WILLIAMS in the Troubador balcony. I said hello (but didn't mention my long-term crush on him...) ;)

Seriously tho - Scissor Sisters are poised to become HUGE. And how cool that a very queer/inclusive outfit like this - with out, openly gay members - has a chance to wow everyone with their amazing talents.

GO SCISSOR SISTERS, GO!!!

Posted by: DJ Paul V. at Jul 29, 2004 6:50:15 PM

I say Scissor Sisters last night opening for the B-52s and I was floored by their performance. I would like to see them do THAT again! I also believe they won over a very much older crowd who were open minded enough to appreciate them too. Only the B-52s could have followed their show. They contributed mightily to a great evening.

Posted by: wal at Jul 30, 2004 5:54:43 AM

I'd just like to say that I can't wait til SS come to the UK in October! I also can't wait to drool over Jake- even if he is gay!!!!

Posted by: Natalie at Jul 30, 2004 3:02:07 PM

the most lovely gay i d ever seen! amazing, so much gorgeous!!

Posted by: ayse from turkey at Aug 2, 2004 1:17:24 AM

I just bought their CD and i am making love to it!!!! Jake Shears, I'd like to have you in the backseat of my car!!! Brilliant CD!!!! We need more REAL gay role models like Jake Shears and the two other gay guys!!

Posted by: Eric at Aug 5, 2004 1:13:24 AM

Posted by: Eric at Aug 5, 2004 1:13:50 AM

Hi all.

I went to the concert in atlanta on the 12th. AMAZING. I fell so in love with all of them especially Jake. They have so much chemistry and talent. Not only are they cute but they are funny and smart. They have this sexual presents i love. Wonderful and enjoyable music. I meet them, very sweet. they signed my shirt. It was so sweet. I got pics.
I'm already planning the next concert when they come back to Atlanta.

Posted by: kat at Sep 14, 2004 6:38:42 PM

they r great

Posted by: sarah at Sep 21, 2004 2:52:01 AM

they r great

Posted by: sarah r at Sep 21, 2004 2:53:39 AM

would love to have the chance to design an outfit for jake shears and have him here for a fitting or two!
graham d

Posted by: graham d at Oct 16, 2004 1:48:09 PM

I think the Scissor Sisters are brilliant they definetly deserve respect off everyone.They are one of the most bestest bands i have ever seen and heard.They rock!

Posted by: Chloe at Oct 22, 2004 1:06:54 PM

I finally found the Scissor Sister's CD and I Am In Love With It!!! Jake Shears makes me thankful for being gay! I would do anything for (or to) Jake Shears! If you see this Jake, I LOVE YOU! Keep On Kickin' Ass!

Posted by: Daniel at Nov 17, 2004 2:31:37 PM

i think that rule and love there songs i want to be like them some day

Posted by: andrea needham at Feb 22, 2005 8:44:11 AM