« Sonic Adventures | Main | Fall from Grace »

Nelly Furtado Embraces Diversity

From the ashes of of teen pop rises Nelly Furtado with her fresh take on music. On her latest album "Folklore," the Canadian singer spreads a message of tolerance and diversity with empowering lyrics and exotic rhythms.

Furtado, 25, describes herself as a "spunky girl" who does not fit a mold. And it's important to her to connect all kinds of people, including gays, to her unique brand of genre-crossing music.

Though involved with a man and raising a newborn these days, she says she has been attracted to women in the past. "Women are gorgeous," she says. 'They are the sexiest."

After the success of her debut album "Whoa Nelly!" Furtado decided to take a long break. In 2002, "Whoa Nelly!" garnered Furtado a Grammy for "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance."

"Two days after the Grammy Awards, I felt this need to settle down and have a family," she said, from her home in Toronto. "I guess I was looking for some balance in my life."

She found true love with musician Lil' Jaz and in September the couple welcomed a baby daughter. In November, she released her much-anticipated second album, "Folklore."

The album is a well-rounded kaleidoscope of world beats, music styles and instruments that (oddly enough) fit well under Furtado’s innovative direction. The singer wrote and co-produced the majority of the songs on the CD with longtime collaborators Track and Field (Brian West and Gerald Eaton).

Furtado, who was born in British Columbia, says "Folklore" is inspired by culture, love, fresh energy and other sentiments often associated with folk music.

On "Folklore," she combines musical diversity with a message of tolerance.

"My music has a message of diversity and open-mindedness," she says. "It reflects many identities, whether it is cultural, racial, musical or sexual. It's genderless. Guys, girls, gay and straight, love my music."

Furtado says her lyrics seem to have appeal for many young gays grappling with coming out. "Many fans have written me [about] how my music has helped them to accept who they are,” she says.

"Folklore" is a departure from the quirky, youthful exuberance she demonstrated on "Whoa Nelly!" Besides the happy-go-lucky “Fresh Off The Boat” and energetic “Forca” the singer explores darker sentiments on her latest CD.

She has matured emotionally, which has given her additional confidence, as a vocalist and a songwriter. "The music business can mature you at a rapid pace," Furtado says. "Of course, being pregnant and in love has also grounded me."

The song “Explode” is a haunting track that deals with teenage angst, rape and drugs.

On the poignant “One Trick Pony,” Furtado depicts a healthy dose of attitude when she sings, "Nobody can control me."

The single "Powerless (Say What You Want)" features the famous Kronos Quartet, and deals with the pressure on the star to conform in the music industry.

On the lullaby "Childhood Dreams," Furtado mixes authentic church organs and Indian tablas. Equally refreshing is her unlikely duet with Brazilian legend Caetano Veloso on the breezy "Island of Wonder."

Despite the CD’s modest Billboard chart entry at number 38, Furtado is confident that the album will find its audience.

"I think this record will be around for a while," she says. "My first record only sold 6,000 copies in the first week, so I’m not complaining now."

January 16, 2004 in Interviews | Permalink

Comments

Nelly, your home-sweet-home...Portugal...loves you! Um beijo

Posted by: Mindtrap at May 28, 2004 4:03:20 AM

jeahh

Posted by: tomi at Jun 29, 2004 6:37:16 PM

nelly im straigt and im 13 male my name is sandor i think you are so hot and sexy i have a lot of your pictures my favroit song is turn off the lights and remix get ur freak on with miss elliot i dont care if u were or are a les i still love you so much i wish i had just one kiss from u

your fan sandor aguilera i love u i love i love u so much

Posted by: sandor at Jul 16, 2005 8:54:48 PM

nelly email me just one email from u sandor032@msn.com is my email if u do email me i love u sexy hot girl

Posted by: sandor at Jul 16, 2005 9:02:41 PM

Sandor, you are mad.

Posted by: Observer at Jul 20, 2005 6:34:45 AM

i love her to portugal

Posted by: Nick at Jul 26, 2005 7:29:08 AM

please nelly i am pleading with u to render this help for me cause i am a student but no one could help me on that then i joined some musicians here in nigeria then still haVE no money and no one to help me out and i can sing and dance but needs a sponsor t5o help me out. among all the musicians i love u most thas why i decided to write to u and if also you will help me not only financialy but please for god sake fin a way for me to njoin u there so that u train me more on music please thanks and if u want to know more about me please send for me on emmalex_in_dahouse@yahoo.com please nelly try to help me out so that those that are laughing at me will see a chaqnge in me thanks

Posted by: emmanuel at Aug 6, 2005 8:53:08 AM

dear Nelly i just want to say a few this to you . My heart is tell me that you are a good person and i belive i am right . I just want you to please remember to always pray and ask The Lord Jesus to help . To be honest i only know one of you song that you sang with kelly . i have seen you in a movie running like your crazy . Good job! please just be who God has call you to be . I just want you to know that Jesus loves you . I hope you really read my letter . because i don't what anyting but for you to read my letter. My name is Kary Ann Brown I am 25 year old and i live in Flordia. Please take care of yourself and have a bless day !

Posted by: kery at Oct 29, 2005 6:09:06 AM

Dear Nelly,
I just wanted to say a few things to you. My heart is telling me that you are a good person and I belive I am right. I just want you to please remember to always pray and ask The Lord Jesus to help you. To be honest I only know one of your songs. That's the song that you did with Kelly. I have saw your last movie and you were running like your crazy, Good job! Please remember, "Just be who God has called you to be" I just want you to know that Jesus loves you. I hope you really read my letter. because I don't want anyting but good for you. My name is Kary Ann Brown I am 25 years old and I live in Flordia. Please take care of yourself and have a bless day !

Posted by: at Oct 29, 2005 6:22:03 AM

i am 12 year old i would like to have a free mp3 is it possible why thank you

Posted by: bekai at Jan 21, 2006 6:39:05 PM

i am 12 year old i would like to have a free mp3 is it possible why thank you

Posted by: bekai at Jan 21, 2006 6:39:09 PM

Dear Nelly,

how come u no call me no more? i cry.

Posted by: Camille at Feb 28, 2006 2:53:16 PM

Nelly you are the best and I wanted to let you know I loveeeeeeeeeeeee you soooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Josh (Nellysman) at Mar 25, 2006 1:15:11 PM

YOU PEOPLE ARE REALLY MAD. CAN YOU HAVE AN MP3 PLAYER? WHY SO YOU CAN DOWNLOAD NELLY'S ALBUM INSTEAD OF BUYING IT? AND YOU, THE THIRTEEN YEAR OLD, NELLY HAS A GUY AND A LITTLE BABY. YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS. IF SHE'S READING THIS, SHE PROBABLY WILL CRACK HER SIDES LAUGHING. HER MUSIC IS HOT, NO DOUBT, BUT SHE HAS A LIFE, YOU GUYS ARE BUGGING OUT.

Posted by: KHADIJAH at Jun 15, 2006 7:11:47 PM

NELLY YOU ARE A STAR KEEP IT UP L DO LOVE YOUR MUSIC .KEEP THE FIRE BURNING GIRL.GUDAE

Posted by: leonella at Sep 20, 2007 1:45:33 AM

Je Veux Vous Dire...

Vous dire
Que vous êtes le soleil de ma vie
Que vous étoilez toutes mes nuits

Vous dire tendrement
Qu'à vos cotés je suis sans cesse troublé
Qu'à vos cotés je me sens majestueux

Vous dire amoureusement
Que vous êtes extraordinaire, et tellement belle
Que je ne me lasse pas de vous contempler

Vous dire sensuellement
Que votre peau est plus douce que la soie
Que mes mains sont avides de vous caresser

Vous dire passionnément
Que vos lèvres sont si fraîches et si délicieuses
Que j'aimerai vous embrasser sans retenue

Vous dire timidement
Que j'ai besoin de vous
Besoin que vous m'aimiez

Vous dire simplement mais sincèrement
Je vous aime ma Princesse.

Posted by: prince akim oluwa at May 9, 2009 4:08:09 AM