« Extraordinary 'Camp' | Main | "Queer Eye" DJs Take Centerstage »

James of "Boy Meets Boy" Spills All

1BMBag02.jpg

James Getzlaff, the handsome "Boy Meets Boy" star, was cruelly tricked by his producers who secretly included straight contestants in the gay dating show. Was it worth it for? Is he still with Wes? Did he know anyone was straight? And was there any behind-the-scenes action? James spills it all in a recent interview with PlanetOut. Some of the highlights:

James on the entire experience of the show:
"Of course, if I had a choice to do it again, I wouldn't. And if I were one of the producers creating the idea, I would have never put straight people in there."

James on the straight twist in the show:
"It added something that got a much larger audience to watch, and I have gotten quite a bit of positive response from those people."

James on the show's cruel producers:
"The last thing gays need is to have anyone think of us as a joke or to make fun of us just for entertainment."

James on plans to leave the show after the plot was revealed:
"Andra and I did talk about leaving. But we thought about it, and we knew the legal ramifications would be severe, and we're not super-wealthy people, and taking on a network for breach of contract would probably run into the millions and millions of dollars. Obviously, we were not going to be able to do that."

James on his current relationship with Wes:
"Wes lives in San Diego, and I live [in Los Angeles]. We don't see each other a lot. We talk on the phone. We e-mail. We do see each other when we can. We're trying."

James on behind-the-scenes action between the house mates:
"I know in our contracts, they really strictly forbade any kind of intimacy between anyone, but I knew that wouldn't stop interest. And actually, it happened."

James on his resentment against the straight guys in the show:
"When it comes to the straight guys, trying to understand why they would do something like this has been really difficult. These are strangers, who kind of just deceived me -- for reasons, yes, but the project is over, and I don't necessarily think that I want people like that in my life."

September 5, 2003 in TV Reviews | Permalink

Comments

I was surprised that quality of the show was that high. Well done indeed. But I have two negative comments:
1) Gay men do not exclusively chose straight women as best friends. Talk about fostering stereotypes? I believe this was the basis that James decided that one of the house mates must be gay or straight. This was insulting and ridiculous. Even on Will and Grace, Jack's best friend is not a woman. Jack's best freind is Will. That is probably closer to the norm for gay men.
2) I was under the impression that the straight angle was presented to James in the very begining - not in one of the final episodes. That was lame the way it was done. That said, I will still watch the next edition.

Posted by: Bill Falcone at Oct 7, 2003 6:05:32 AM

Where are they now...? Last night was Andra's first working at the bar (Here--LA's version of G Bar) where Brian is bartender.

Posted by: BoiFromTroy at Oct 18, 2003 6:13:42 AM

I am in Palm Springs right till the end of the year on vacation. Does anyone know the address of the house they used on "Boy Meets Boy" I would like to drive by and see where it is located!

Posted by: Laurie at Dec 27, 2003 12:30:13 PM

The show sent many messages, hoping gay and straight people get a better understanding of the gay world. Like James said,we as gay people , have to go through so many things in our daily life, we don't need infiltrators in our lives. So too bad, for Franklin, if he got his feelings hurt. Our (gays) feelings get hurt almost EVERY day. Think about that! Now he has a taste (a little) how we feel. On a positive side, gays are becoming more accepted in society, thanks for TV shows like this one, thk goodness. I, like James, have a str8 FEMALE best friend. James, you handled yourself very well when you confronted Franklin, the str8 guy!!! All the str8 guys had an agenda..... $25K. Guess what.... u lost. I could go on and on. But, maybe enough said.

Posted by: jim at Jan 13, 2004 7:46:33 PM

i find it interesting that james has been talking shit about the producers and how the "gay" community was affected when all this time he actually had someone that he was seeing before the show started that he did not finish seeing. so actually he went on a dating show with someone in his heart and mind. ... infidelity? i can safely presume so and isnt that a bad message to send? "gay people love infidelity" so he kinda made the situation worse by making fun of the hetero people cause if they found out about his little dark secret im sure the people would say that he was just being a drama queen and cheating queen... even if hes quite cute...but still an idiot

Posted by: skyler at Jan 17, 2004 4:29:13 PM

skyler,
what makes you so sure that James was seeing someone before the show? I, as a gay man, do not like infidelity.

Posted by: jim at Jan 23, 2004 7:45:56 PM

Wonder if another season is in the works. This is the first show (reality) I've give a shit about watching! I couldn't wait until the next week! I liked Brian, yum~

Posted by: Jeff at Feb 16, 2004 3:35:25 PM

James Getzlaff, the star bachelor at the center of Bravo’s hit reality show, “Boy Meets Boy,” will make his New York stage debut joining the cast of MY BIG GAY ITALIAN WEDDING on June 11 at Theatre Four, 424 West 55th Street (west of Ninth Ave.)

James Getzlaff earned national fame last year as the star of Bravo’s “Boy Meets Boy.” The enormously popular reality series followed 16 male suitors all vying for James’ attention, with each one facing possible elimination at the end of every episode. What the leading man didn’t know was that some of the potential mates were actually straight men posing as gay, leading to heated on-air discussions and debates. “Boy Meets Boy: Complete Season One” is being released on DVD May 25.

Planning a wedding can be hell. And planning to ruin a wedding can be a hell of a lot of fun – especially when one of the grooms is your ex-lover! These are the issues confronted head on in MY BIG GAY ITALIAN WEDDING, the Off-Broadway comedy smash written by Anthony Wilkinson and directed by Peter Rapanaro.

Brooklynites Andrew Polinski (James Getzlaff) and Anthony Pinnunziato (Anthony Wilkinson) are getting married. Anthony insists on a big traditional Italian wedding but there are a few problems. Anthony’s family won't give their blessing unless he can fulfill two requirements: The ceremony is to be performed by a priest, and Andrew's estranged mother in Florida must give her blessing. To further complicate matters, Andrew's ex-boyfriend is intent on breaking the couple up by revealing a past indiscretion. Can their familial problems be solved? And can this couple make it through "I Do" after what one of them did?

Posted by: Chris at Jun 22, 2004 7:59:26 AM

Posted by: Chris at Jun 22, 2004 7:59:34 AM

James is very handsome and very friendly and shy young man! I was in G club at fri/Manattan NY CITY/ ( july 2 2004) And I took whit him and Jai Rodriguez from Queer eye for str8 guy. They are very nice guys!We spoke and had nice time

Posted by: Thomas from CZech REP at Jul 5, 2004 9:01:20 PM

I enjoyed Boy Meets Boy but I wonder how much of a relationship James can ever really have with Andra around. I remember one scene, before she knew who was gay and who was straight, where she blasted Franklin, telling him that the only reason he was there was because SHE chose him to be there. In real life, what will happen to James' partner when Andra chooses for him NOT to be there?

I got the impression that James was a sourpuss. All reality shows have a twist. He should have expected something. At least they did tell him when he was down to 3 finalists. The fact is, he clearly wanted to chose the "pretty one," Franklin, but thought better of it after learning about the twist. Franklin seemed disingenuous, stilted and rather stuck on himself from the start. Brian H was the catch and he got passed over for Wes, who seemed conniving. I didn't like him and was surprised that James chose him. My overall impression was that Wes was out to win the contest more than win a partner and James was a bitter, judgmental man whom no one would please for long. Andra seemed to have a real attitude problem and her connection with James was a bit over the top for me.

Whom did I like? Dani Behr who seemed to restrain herself from answering Andra's constant complaints with "Tough s__t, cookie."

Posted by: Mark at Jan 7, 2006 8:20:34 PM

I hate these reality shows. We have enough Reality here at the Royal Palace, and luckily for me, my secretary Mary Mount, keeps things at a mild boiling temperature, particularily around the time when we have the International Enema Festival.
Peter Rapanaro, that fab singer of the ave maria is usually around as commentator, and usually has witty "ave maria jokes" about the collonic explosions during this xmas show....talk about reality...WHATEVER you do, do NOT sit in the first row of that contest. SPLAT!
Smiles,