« Madonna Collaborator Covers Dusty Springfield | Main | Watch Roisin Murphy's Entire Brussels Concert »

New Christmas Song by The Killers with Elton John and Neil Tennant

Well, well, well (or should I say "ho, ho, ho" to stay in the spirit of the season).This questionable little piece of work is called "Joseph, Better You Than Me" and features not only The Killers and Elton John but also Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant.

Pretty awesome bunch, right?

But the tune is a bit of a let down. What were they thinking? It's definitely not your run-of-the-mill Christmas tune. It's not instantly catchy or memorable. The song is more comparable to The Killers at the time of "Sawdust" than The Killers at the time of "Day & Age" (if that makes sense). Will it be a Christmas number one song in the U.K.? Probably not.

The collaboration between Neil Tennant, Brandon Flowers and Elton John in itself is something to remember. I just had hoped they had collaborated on something a little bit more potent.

I don't think this video is the offical video. I'm guessing a crafty YouTube uploader just put this quickly together (that's what I hope).

Update: A few of you just emailed me to let me know that this YouTube video is in fact the official video for the song. Yes. Really.

December 1, 2008 in The Killers | Permalink

Comments

Ugh, that was painful to listen to. Elton's voice has not held up very well over the years, I'm afraid.

Posted by: Bruce at Dec 1, 2008 7:33:07 PM

I'm a huge fan of The Killers but that song is like finding a lump of coal in your stocking on Christmas morn.

Posted by: Anthony at Dec 1, 2008 7:57:51 PM

It has grown on me after many listens, but still... I don't like how they're singing the same note for like 3/4 of the song. I could use some more BFlow, too. It's supposed to be a Killers song featuring Elton John, not the other way around.

Posted by: Dani at Dec 1, 2008 8:22:01 PM

Thank you for publishing this story, I found very interesting receives a warm greeting

Posted by: Sinfive at Dec 1, 2008 11:54:00 PM

I like the song although I do agree it is supposed to be the killers featuring elton john. I did like Brandon's high voice though. I think it shows his range very well.

Posted by: Robert at Dec 2, 2008 10:26:31 AM

The song has grown me a bit as well. It gets really good for about the last minute and a half. It also seems pointless to have Neil Tennant in here, he says like one line.

Compared to the last two Killers singles, it's definitely a bit of a let down. But cheers to them for trying something different.

Posted by: Bertram at Dec 2, 2008 11:46:27 AM

I meant compared to the last two Killers Christmas singles.

Posted by: Bertram at Dec 2, 2008 11:47:27 AM

The Killers can do no wrong!

Posted by: Serendipity at Dec 2, 2008 1:50:07 PM

All I can say is WTF???

Posted by: Denise at Dec 2, 2008 2:28:11 PM

this is the official video.

Posted by: jen sapkowski at Dec 2, 2008 2:50:39 PM

I think it is a lovely theme, but would agree that a bit more of Brandon's singing would have been better as he has such an excellent range. I think the more people hear it the more they will love it.

Posted by: Ann at Dec 3, 2008 5:38:02 AM

They should have had Brandon sing Neil Tennant's part. That would have made the song a little bit more even-handed between him and Elton John. It's kind of stupid to have a duet between two people going along, and then all of a sudden some random guy sings one line.

Posted by: Bertram at Dec 3, 2008 6:50:51 AM

Not as goodf as the first but better than the second X-mas single. I think its pretty good after a couple of plays. Could be fun if it went to no. 1.

Posted by: Casper at Dec 3, 2008 7:05:06 AM

I Swear 2 Everyone My Vid Is Not Fake.It Has The Website Tag On It

Posted by: at Dec 3, 2008 12:11:34 PM

I Swear 2 Everyone My Vid Is Not Fake.It Has The Website Tag On It

Posted by: Trevdaman at Dec 3, 2008 12:12:36 PM

The song is actually quite good, although a bit more Brandon Flowers and less Elton John would've worked better. Anyone who likes The Killers, or at least their two previous Christmas singles should enjoy this as well. They don't create cheesy, Christmas jingle music, so it's true...if you were expecting Santa Claus is Coming to Town or Jingle Bells you will be disappointed. Instead this is a "real" song that just happens to be about Christmas. Cheers.

Posted by: Bananafish at Dec 3, 2008 5:11:42 PM

It's amazing how Neil's voice doesn't age much. He still sounds like he did when he was 30. haha. :D I love him.
PS. I heard Elton is working on a new album soon with Mark Ronson. Can't wait. His last record was beautiful.

Posted by: Stephan Leuenberger at Dec 4, 2008 6:27:28 AM

I found the song to be tremendous. Eltons voice is not the same but that is ok, and Flowers voice is distinctive. The song itself is not a Christmas jingle it is a story... So if you want milk go to a billion outlets and listen to the tripe until you have your cleansing...if you want meat listen to this song

Posted by: gary c at Dec 4, 2008 1:55:09 PM

I also wrote a Christmas song this year. You can check it out at myspace.com/ovis101.
It's titled "It Sucks To Be Born Around Christmas". BTW, I like the Elton/Killers song.

Posted by: Ovis at Dec 8, 2008 10:46:36 PM

Great post guys. Thought you might be interested to hear about our Christmas video game song from our Girl Gamer Vocalist:

www.gamepeople.co.uk/audio_wii_wiisports.htm

Posted by: Paul Govan at Dec 10, 2008 5:27:52 AM

as someone who likes The Killers, Elton John and Pet Shop Boys independently and in their own rights, i find this atrocious.

terrible production.
melodically untidy.
the video is unspeakably amateur
a duet for three voices?

i can appreciate the theme, examining an oft-overlooked figure of 'history', but it just seems to ill thought out.

sorry brandon, no wonder you said you had a lot of trouble with the lyrics. when the muse shuts her mouth, it's time to scrap and move on, not force out something of this calibre.

brief highlight: neil tennant's part seems the most coherent and emphatic.

however, the line, 'from the temple walls to the new york night' made me want to barf at the cheesiness. i was waiting for something about 'liking pina coladas and getting caught in the rain' to follow...

sorry, not even feasibly 'killers' standard. dear me, what a shame.

dm

Posted by: @dmx at Dec 10, 2008 7:32:51 PM

If I could be so bold as to plug our new Christmas album consisting of 17 original songs from lots of new indie bands from all over the world including the Cloud Room, Idaho, Jape and the Very Most. http://www.indiecater.com is where you can listen to it all. We think it’s great but then we are biased and obsessed with Christmas.

Posted by: Kevin at Dec 14, 2008 12:21:09 PM

its a very good collaboration this, I like neil tennant, elton and brandon, hey, whilst listening to some xmas music I came across an unusual tune today its someday at christmas by someone called dpavs, its remix he has done with stevie wonder lyrics, quite nice actually....

Posted by: feelgoodxmas at Dec 14, 2008 2:42:41 PM

You do realize that "Sawdust" wasn't a studio album, right? It was not a singly crafted album with a certain sound or anything like that.

Posted by: Ben at Dec 19, 2008 11:03:38 AM

Check out my take on the song and let me know your thoughts..

Posted by: jason at Dec 26, 2008 8:13:52 AM