« Free Download: Kap10kurt "Dangerseekers" | Main | Listen to Shenkar Ft. Natasha Bedingfield "End Of Time" »

A Few Words About Pink "Dear Mr. President"

Backstage at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2006, Pink was adamant that her protest song "Dear Mr. President" would never be a single. "Although, I'm sure France and Germany would like it to be," she added.

But who knew? I was surprised to see a video for the song pop up on VH1 this week, which might indicate that the fine folks at Zomba, Pink's record label, might have decided to release it as a single after all.

Written by Pink and Billy Mann (and featuring the Indigo Girls), "Dear Mr. President" is a bold statement about Pink's feelings towards the current U.S. president and his politics. She sings, "Dear Mr. President, Come take a walk with me. I'd like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly. (. . .) What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away? And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay? You've come a long way from whiskey and cocaine."

That's some powerful stuff coming from a mainstream pop artist. But maybe Pink is really not so mainstream after all in terms of her creativity.

There is a candor and fearlessness about her music that is truly genuine and make her stand out from the pack. She has carved out a unique (and slightly contradicting) niche for herself that enables her to put out slick pop tunes like "U + Ur Hand," but also bolder and more reflective pieces such as "Dear Mr. President" and "Waiting For Love."

And the best thing of all is probably that her record label fully supports her and might even release "Dear Mr. President" as a single, which potentially could set off a radio talkshow firestorm of Dixie Chicks-like proportions.

November 23, 2007 in A Few Words, Pink | Permalink

Comments

She reminds me of Cher when she smiles after singing the gay line. I love her - she has real integrity. That last album was really great and had incredible legs commercially.

She's also one of the few young singers today who can REALLLLY sing.

Posted by: xolondon at Nov 23, 2007 4:28:30 PM

This song was released as a single in Australia about 5 months ago and charted in the top 10

Posted by: sean at Nov 23, 2007 10:46:58 PM

I have always liked Pink and you are correct when you said that she is not too mainstream although that is where she got her start.

I love this song, btw.

Posted by: Nite in shining Armor at Nov 24, 2007 6:58:43 AM

Pinks last album is my favorite on my whole ipod. It was amazing, and I'm so glad that this is being released - it's one of pinks songs that should be heard.

Posted by: Jake at Nov 24, 2007 8:25:06 AM

that song was released about a year ago here in Germany, so its not that new. It was also top 10

Posted by: Mariam at Nov 24, 2007 10:47:00 AM

Three things:

1) I love the fact that Pink started out as extremely mainstream artist, and has evolved into an artist that can take chances. You'll never see a Mariah or Janet (whom I love) do that to the extent that Pink has.

2) Probably the only thing that would really cause controversy would be the cocaine reference, since Dubya's camp has always denied that.

3) Anything that brings the Indigo Girls remotely close to a Top 40 radio station is alright by me!

Posted by: John at Nov 24, 2007 4:56:26 PM

well - i think they've pretty much maxed on singles from the album, so it would be a relatively risk-free venture considering that they've already done so well with the album. even if there was a dixie-chicks like boycott, the impact wouldn't have been as dangerous as it would've been with the dixie chicks since this single would be released so late in the album's life.

also, ironic that this song with anti-presidential sentiments is being released so close to final stretch for grammy nominations; considering that a single last year with sorta similar leanings won record of the year... that of course, being the dixie chicks' "not ready to make nice".

Posted by: will-w at Nov 25, 2007 5:29:11 PM

Have you guys heard of Megan McCauley? Her song "Tap That" sounds exactly like Pink "U + UR Hand".

Posted by: Dexter at Nov 26, 2007 1:16:48 PM

It was a number 1 single in Belgium and top 5 in Holland!
donniestar.blogspot.com

Posted by: DonnieStar at Nov 27, 2007 4:52:27 AM

this song was getting airplay here in LA on star 98.7 a few months ago...

Posted by: J at Nov 28, 2007 4:58:01 PM

pink is right on the money with this song.i don't think it's going to cause as much controversy as the dixie chick song ,only,because of the time line and bacause it's the truth and everyone knows it.don't you think pink and fergie look and sing alike except for the hair?pinks got to get a new do!

Posted by: cheryl at Dec 3, 2007 8:13:28 AM

All this song says to me is P!nk is young and too immature to speak knowledgeably on the subject of politics. How about Dear Mrs. P!nk, What have you done? Instead of pointing the finger at everyone else, why not put YOURSELF out there? Instead of placing a higher importance on animals why not put your time into human rights and start buying mattresses for the homeless making beds out of cardboard boxes? Is that work too hard for you? This is a role model for the youth of America? I don't know who the President prays for but I will start praying for you - first and foremost to have some respect for the country you live in.

Posted by: Disgusted at Dec 20, 2007 5:11:23 AM

THE PREVIOUS POST SAID IT ALL.

First and foremost have some respect for the country you live in.
Quit producing self-serving records and use some of that cash to make a difference OR how about just SHUT THE HELLUP.

Posted by: Tim Peters at Jan 8, 2008 3:14:57 AM

This is what happens when hippies were allowed to breed. I sure hope she takes her own advice about wanting him to walk a mile in the shoes of another. Why don't she take her money (all of it ) and give it to her favorite charities and live like a pauper. Or better yet take on the responsibility that he has on his shoulders. I think she would change the lyrics. If she didn't have a meltdown of a Spears proportion and end up overdosing on the same thing she is jealous of our president over (like actually quitting drugs not writing songs while on them). P.s. If you don't like it here (we are free!) LEAVE!!!!!!!

Posted by: Shawn Thornton at Jan 11, 2008 7:56:14 AM

Posted by: Shawn Thornton at Jan 11, 2008 7:57:35 AM

i had to listen to the song again and clearly some people need to clean out their ears and listen to the song. Pink doesn't advocate that people start giving up everything and live homeless on the street. She wants people to think about decisions and be able to justify why they made that decision. Everything that Pink talks about in her song has been focused on in the media.
What bothered me the most about reading the post above is that they claim THE UNITED STATES IS FREE and HIPPIE SHOULDN'T BREED and make comments like HAVE RESPECT FOR YOUR COUNTRY.
Take a moment and think about it next time you post comments like that. Last time I checked, the United State is based on rights like freedom of speech and nowhere in the song does she say that she doesn't like the United States. She is just using one of the right granted to citizens in the first amendment. Also, who gives you the right to decide who can "BREED." Your only making yourself sound ignorant. If were all free (as commented above) then Pink has the right to write and sing songs about whatever she wants and shouldn't have to leave.

Posted by: at Jan 16, 2008 10:27:26 AM

dear pink:I don't know how to
express my sympathy after hearing
the news of your divorce from
carey. I am praying for you
everyday and hoping i meet you someday,even if it is in heaven.
love ya, cheryl boker

Posted by: cheryl at Feb 19, 2008 1:19:16 PM

dear pink:I don't know how to
express my sympathy after hearing
the news of your divorce from
carey. I am praying for you
everyday and hoping i meet you someday,even if it is in heaven.
love ya, cheryl boker

Posted by: cheryl at Feb 19, 2008 1:19:20 PM

yeah thats my fav. song dis it ill actually cry..

Posted by: tasia at Feb 27, 2008 6:34:34 PM

Although I don't know much about Pink I can say I really liked her song. However,as a Latina/Puerto Rican I should say that she was missing there on the issue of immigration. I don't know if Pink does any kind of humanitarian work, but if she doesn't, she certainly should. Thats the only one thing that the ignorants with the comments above have right. There are a lot of artists out there that donate lots of money for different causes and do a lot of social justice work. But, on the rest, I agree 100% on Shawns comments. And my last comment, you can have respect and pride for your country but still know that it is not perfect and tell the truth about it. Is the same as feeling respect and pride for your mother but knowing that even mothers are not perfect and make mistakes, somethings very big mistakes.

Puerto Rican pride!!!

P.S. And before any of the ignorants out there send me home, or back to my country, study the history of Puerto Rico. A summary for you, Puerto Rico is the longest colony in the world, has been a US colony since 1898, and all Puerto Ricans are born American. So, if u send me home I would still be in US territory. I just anticipate the thoughts of many people out there.

Posted by: Charlyn at May 24, 2008 8:01:03 AM