« The Friday Punch | Main | Interview with Mario Vasquez »

Listen to New Darren Hayes Track

Hot off the heels of his successful shows in London and New York, Darren Hayes has released the teaser track "Who Would Have Thought"" on his web site. The song is an introduction to his new album "This Delicate Thing We've Made" that is out in August. First single to be taken off that 25-song double disc is titled "On The Verge Of Something Wonderful" and will be released in July.

Produced together with Justin Shave and Robert Conley, "Who Would Have Thought?" seems to be a reflection of Hayes' intense personal journey of the last three years. The singer comes full circle after dealing with the painful break up of Savage Garden, the trauma of his violent childhood and his struggle with depression on his experimental 2004 album "The Tension & The Spark." The tide has finally turned for Hayes who started his own Powdered Sugar record label, came out as a gay man and married his boyfriend Richard Cullen in 2006. (Click here to read my interview with Darren for a little bit more insight.)

On "Who Would Have Thought?," Darren Hayes steps into light. It is a moody electro-pop production that is contrasted by Hayes' emotive vocals that joyfully soar in the song's bridge. Make sure to catch the wedding bells toward the end of the track that is a cute nod to his wedding day. I'm truly impressed by this new Darren Hayes effort and the excellent and very symbolic animated video that accompanies this teaser track.

Watch Darren Hayes "Who Would Have Thought?" [QT]
  Listen to Darren Hayes "Who Would Have Thought?" [QT]

April 8, 2007 in Audio Streams, Darren Hayes, GLBT Artists, Video Streams | Permalink

This seems to have taken things to another level.
His last record didn't get released here in the States but was honestly the best thing he's ever done. I didn't think he'd surpass it. I really think this record could prove me wrong. This is the record I wish he'd made years ago.

Posted by: Dan at Apr 8, 2007 4:18:29 PM

Thanks Arjan great write up from you yet again. Have to say I am LOVING this song and video from Darren Hayes it leaves me desperate to hear more from this next album.

Posted by: Briony at Apr 8, 2007 4:58:28 PM

wow thanks arjan. This song is the tits! i love the video too.

Posted by: Penny at Apr 8, 2007 5:08:29 PM

It's remarkable. Such artistry. Make me even more excited for this record than I already was. I've never had any doubt in my mind, all these years, that we would see great things from this man as time continues and he proves that true more and more with each year...

Posted by: Jess at Apr 8, 2007 9:00:00 PM

What a stunning track! Absolutely gagging to hear the rest of the album now!

Posted by: Hugh at Apr 9, 2007 12:25:05 AM

O.K this song is cool.
He's gone sort of electro depeche.
Me likey.

Posted by: steven at Apr 9, 2007 12:56:22 AM

Thanks Arjan. Another fab review from you. And the song is stunning. Desperately can't wait for August 23rd - I want that album NOW :D

Posted by: Maria at Apr 9, 2007 3:34:04 AM

Darren just gets better and better... I love the song and the accompanying video is just amazing!! LOVE it!!

Posted by: Rach at Apr 9, 2007 6:58:37 AM

What a fab review, thanks Arjan. Both the song and animation are brilliant. August can't come soon enough for me, so I can get my hands on what is going to be another fantastic album from Darren.

Posted by: Joyce at Apr 9, 2007 8:22:58 AM

Great review Arjan. It is the kind of song that will take you to one place and have you land somewhere more beautiful.

Posted by: Mia at Apr 9, 2007 9:14:47 AM

I love this site. You keep introducing me to new music like this guy. Truth be told I didn't know his old music but I love this song and the tracks on his myspace.

Posted by: Arialle at Apr 9, 2007 11:50:14 AM

I had the opportunity to see Darren play LIVE at Joe's Pub here in NYC last month and I must admit this record is LITERALLY WONDERFUL not on the verge, it is downright amazing. I respect that his music came from different experiences in his life that many people can relate to... everyone NEEDS this album, there is no artist that you can compare him to because he is in his OWN LEAGUE!!! LOVE TO DARREN HAYESSSSSSS and HIS FABULOUS RECORD!

Posted by: FAU102 at Apr 9, 2007 1:01:27 PM

Great review Arjan.

I love the song - I can't wait for the album.

Posted by: Spike at Apr 9, 2007 3:53:09 PM

Great Site Arjan!

I was actually surprised by how terrific the song and especially how mind blowing the video is!

Good for him!

Posted by: John at Apr 13, 2007 4:40:40 AM

hello darren its me or cant you remember me i wrote sang and recorded with you or have you forgotten me love your new songs even if i dont know what they mean when are you going to contact me or dont i deserve that much

Posted by: jackie springfield at May 18, 2007 3:17:28 PM