« Free Download: The Bird and The Bee "Because" | Main | Video: Amy Winehouse "Back To Black" »

The Advocate Annual Music Issue

Who will grace the coveted cover of The Advocate's annual music issue this year? Last year, my honeys of Dangerous Muse hit the spotlight out of nowhere after they captured the cover of last year's music issue.

So which gay or gay-friendly artist do you think will be on The Advocate cover this year? Will it be Mika? Or perhaps Beth Ditto of The Gossip? Or how about emerging new Sony signings Matthew Duffy and Adam Joseph? Who do you think will be or should be on this year's cover of The Advocate's music issue?

The magazine hits newsstands on April 10.

March 19, 2007 | Permalink

What about the Scissor Sisters - not orginal but they'd be welcome.

Posted by: J.B. at Mar 19, 2007 4:49:00 AM

Jake Shears

Posted by: Michael at Mar 19, 2007 4:52:15 AM

tori amos!

Posted by: mindy at Mar 19, 2007 5:28:22 AM

Darren Hayes definitely. Not only has he been producing some of the most brilliant electro music, but he came out and got gay married...If that isn't a musician worthy of the cover of the Advocate, then I don't know what is! I do like Beth from Gossip though, so I wouldn't be disappointed to see her on the cover.

Posted by: Electroqueer at Mar 19, 2007 6:04:55 AM

As long as it is not Melissa Etheridge again

Posted by: frank at Mar 19, 2007 6:08:21 AM

I hope it's not Dangerous Fart or Fart Muse ...

Posted by: Yasuri Yamileth at Mar 19, 2007 7:34:59 AM

Posted by: stephen garey at Mar 19, 2007 7:56:02 AM

Posted by: silverlakeguy at Mar 19, 2007 9:23:07 AM

Definitely Mika.

Posted by: giddygo at Mar 19, 2007 9:38:06 AM

Posted by: Ed at Mar 19, 2007 9:26:27 PM

Rufus W.

Posted by: xolondon at Mar 20, 2007 3:58:55 AM

Scissor Sisters of course. Do we need really need another straight group on the cover?

Posted by: Jason Moreland at Mar 20, 2007 10:21:31 AM

matthew duffy is wicked hot!!

Posted by: mario at Mar 20, 2007 7:44:07 PM

While I'd love for The Gossip to be on the cover, they peaked last year, so I'd assume this year will be Mika. (kinda sealed the deal with the Verizon phone commercial that uses his song)

Posted by: tim at Mar 20, 2007 7:56:34 PM

Ed Droste please!

Posted by: Chris at Mar 21, 2007 10:05:18 AM

I'm an African-American and this has brought up a question in my mind. Are there any African-American artists that are considered gay-friendly? I recently canceled my subscription to The Advocate because of it's lack of diversity, and that got me to thinking about this dilemma. Any thoughts?

P.S. You all know it's going to be the over-hyped, overrated Mika that makes the cover.

Posted by: richie at Mar 23, 2007 8:57:31 AM

You know, I think I might be with Electroqueer on this one...I for some reason just have this feeling it could be Darren Hayes...

Posted by: Jessica at Mar 25, 2007 3:23:35 PM

Kele Okereke, FTW!!!

Posted by: urban at Mar 26, 2007 7:55:20 AM

I vote Kele, too!

Posted by: Eddie at Mar 27, 2007 2:44:53 PM

it has to be GOLDFRAPP!

Posted by: walter at Apr 6, 2007 10:01:05 AM

I'd love to see Darren Hayes on the cover too!

Posted by: Michelle at Apr 6, 2007 9:50:47 PM

Darren Hayes definitely!

Posted by: RainyDay at Apr 7, 2007 11:15:53 AM

Richie, there are tons of African American artists that are gay friendly.

The first one that came to mind was Me'shell Ngedgeocello, but Kanye West is extremely vocal about the homophobia issues in the hip hop community (just google Kanye West and Gay - you'll find articles about his stance, and how his views came about when a cousin of his came out to him). Kele Okereke of Bloc Party mentioned above is of African descent (though he's british so techinically not African American - he's definitely a person of color) And, of course, there is the slew of African American diva house singers that have embraced the gay community and vice versa.

As for the cover of the Advocate, I'd HATE to see the derivative MIKA on the cover. I'm tired of people "refusing" to talk about their sexuality. You either are, or you aren't. I have no problems with either, but don't try to walk the line - that's just plain tired.

If you are going to put a straight person on the cover of the Advocate, it should be Cyndi Lauper - who organized and is headlining the "TRUE COLORS" tour. She's old school, but still - the fact that she's been so supportive of the the community and is doing the True Color tour is enough to warrant a cover.

If the Advocate is going to put an established gay group on the cover, I'd go with Erasure whose new album drops next month. It's a continuation of Nightbird - which was a total return to form for them.

If they want to put someone less known (than Erasure) but still popular, I'd go with Darren Hayes. His new album sounds extremely promising, he has the gay marriage going for him, and he's easy on the eyes.

And finally if they wanted to go against type, I'd vote for Kele as well. An out gay person of color... playing rock music? Talk about going against type. I'd buy the issue.

Posted by: jackhonky at Apr 15, 2007 7:48:24 PM

yeah I second the Ed Droste comment. Get him on there, he'll definitely give a more interesting interview than fucking Mika

Posted by: bookie at Jul 1, 2007 9:03:47 PM

Jake Walden....his music is haunting and passionate. It is so unique and beautiful....I just went to his cd release event which was sold out at the Hotel Cafe in Hollywood and I have never been to a show that moved so many people. It was electric and raw and everyone gay and straight was mesmorized and thankful for the experience. Seriously...

Posted by: burt at Feb 4, 2008 1:19:35 AM