« Video Premiere: MOTOR "Bleep #1" | Main | Hot New Talent Alert: Mancini »

Ask the Artist: Questions for Tracey Thorn?

Arjanwrites_tracey_readerinterview

(UPDATE: Unfortunately, I can accept any more questions at this time. Thanks for understanding!)

Tracey Thorn has released a sublime new album and she wants to talk about it with YOU!

I'm thrilled that Tracey Thorn has agreed to do an exclusive interview with Arjanwrites.com. Instead of me coming up with questions, I'd like to give you the opportunity to submit questions for Tracey. Let's get the entire Arjanwrites.com reader community involved!

Email me or write up your questions in the comments section before Wednesday, April 4.

I can't guarantee I will able to include all of your questions in the interview, but I'll do my best. Of course, I will print the entire chat with the singer on Arjanwrites.com. If this works out well, I want to go ahead and do similar "Ask The Artist" reader interviews in the future and give you a little bit more access to artists you are listening to.

Tracey is very picky about granting interviews, so make sure to take advantage of this opportunity. While you are coming up with your clever, fun and intelligent questions, listen to her brand-new album "Out Of The Woods." It's fingerlicking good!

Listen to Tracey Thorn "It's All True" [real]

March 30, 2007 in Ask the Artist, Interviews | Permalink

Comments

Have you ever written a song, and later regretted the lyrics (because they were too personal, your state of mind changed, etc.)?

Posted by: Kyle at Mar 30, 2007 1:24:03 PM

fantasy: if you could create an alter-ego, which explores music in a completely different genre, what would that sound like?

Posted by: kyle at Mar 30, 2007 1:30:37 PM

The classic "Apron Strings" and new song "Nowhere Near" are two plots of the arc of motherhood/family life. In what ways has family life informed - good or bad - informed the new record?

Scott
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: Scott at Mar 31, 2007 11:51:24 AM

no questions, just a hearty 'welcome back' from me.
c.

Posted by: craig at Mar 31, 2007 9:30:02 PM

Which songs were you intentioned to cover at the early stage of the project?

Posted by: ess at Apr 1, 2007 11:25:23 AM

How does A Distant Shore sound to you 25 years on? Have you ever thought about re-recording or re-visiting any of those songs, or might you in the future?

Posted by: Andrew at Apr 1, 2007 11:30:20 AM

Are you planning a world tour or a small europe tour? İf so which countries will you be going to ?

Posted by: burak atinc at Apr 1, 2007 11:41:53 AM

Do you & Ben ever think of making a new EBTG album ? Or is it completely out of the way for both of you ?

By the way, congrats on the new album, definitely a contestant for the 2007 top ten list of albums of the year.

Cheers.

Posted by: Steph at Apr 1, 2007 12:03:20 PM

Will Ben remix any song of the album?

Posted by: G at Apr 1, 2007 12:20:54 PM

Hello Tracey,

I have been a big fan since the 80's. God, that sounds so old.... but it's true. EBTG has been able to adapt and re-invent itself time and time again. From a CD like "Baby, the Stars Shine Bright" to "Walking Wounded", there's been so much ground covered.

Whispery pop, house rhythms, big band sounds, and even drum and bass. The music has changed along with my tastes. Thank you for that. Your new CD continues in that tradition with some great house tunes that I could see in the club "It's All True" and tunes that remind me of old EBTG classic heartfelt ballads "Hands Up To The Ceiling"... LOVE THAT SONG!

My question is two parts:

1.) "How are you able to stay current AND relevant? Not many people can!"

2.) "What are the last 5 CDs you've either bought or downloaded (old or new)?"

Thanks!
Marco Collins
San Diego, CA., USA

Posted by: Marco Collins at Apr 1, 2007 12:33:31 PM

Ben's been busy being a DJ & you've been busy being a mom & a part-time pop star. Welcome back! We've missed you... And congrats on a great solo album!

My question is are there are any plans to tour the US (and the rest of the world, of course)?

Posted by: Jon A. Leslie at Apr 1, 2007 1:21:08 PM

Which 5 albums (by other artists) would you say have had the biggest impact or influence on your life?

Posted by: Shaun Roach at Apr 1, 2007 1:51:41 PM

What happens on your ideal holiday? What kind of things do you like to do most?

Where in the world would you ideally live, and why?

Posted by: gay at Apr 1, 2007 2:28:12 PM

Out of all the songs you have ever written what would be your favorite three?

Posted by: Marc at Apr 1, 2007 3:26:03 PM

If you could pick one EBTG tune to dance to, which one would it be?

Posted by: Amit at Apr 1, 2007 4:07:51 PM

Hello Tracey,

My favorite song on the new album is "By picadilly station I sat down and wept". Is the song inspired or at all related by the book by Elizabeth Smart "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept"?

Thank you for the music and for being so cool at your myspace page.Rarely do we get to hear from the artists themselves. We appreciate it!

Posted by: Omar at Apr 1, 2007 4:40:51 PM

1. Since you've done quite a few covers - what in your opinion makes a good cover song - what makes you want to make it your own? (My favourite of yours is the Smiths 'Back to the Old House'. -- And I'd love to hear you do Nico's 'The Falconer' - her solo stuff would definitley do well with some beats :)

2. Since 'King's Cross' wasn't on the US release (and your version of the PSB song is beautiful, by the way), I'm wondering how many songs were recorded for the album - and might they be released as b sides?

Thanks for a great album!

Posted by: martin at Apr 1, 2007 6:30:44 PM

What is your fave word? Ever used it in a song?
What books, if any, have influenced songs you have written and how - have they planted a seed for a song, or have they influenced how a songs comes out?
Any covers of EBTG songs you like/hate?
Any thoughts about doing a record of covers of torch/blues/jazz songs?
Thanks a lot!

Posted by: domino at Apr 1, 2007 8:04:24 PM

Hi Tracey, welcome back. I have loved to hear your distinctive beguiling voice on EBTG tunes and on various collaboration projects over the decades! Whose voices do you seek out that melt you? Is there someone you would love to sing a duet with? Thanks

Posted by: hangthedj at Apr 2, 2007 1:13:52 AM

You often write from the perspective of someone thinking of a former love, a love that ended badly, and it's clear you're still in love with them.

Some common refrains in these songs: years have gone by, you wonder where they are now, and, at the end of song, you plaintively wonder if they still love you or why they didn't love you and why they left.

The classic lost-love tune on the new album is "By Piccadilly Station I Sat Down And Wept." Past lost-love songs include "The Heart Remains a Child," and, more famously, "Missing."

Here's the question: what does Ben make of these songs?

Posted by: Mary at Apr 2, 2007 5:08:05 AM

Hello T.

Now then, when was the last time you shook your hips in a cheap way and where was it?
I recently found myself at home moving to 'its all true' and i was soooooo cheap.

welcome back to you too.

Posted by: markus triplett at Apr 2, 2007 7:56:41 AM

from the array of songs in your EBTG career, would you consider the future of the future from the temperamental album a good song? Was it difficult to make that song?

Posted by: bigmangafan at Apr 2, 2007 8:45:45 AM

Salad cream, or mayonaise?

Posted by: Andrew at Apr 2, 2007 10:51:08 AM

1. What song is going to be released as the second single?
2. Since the album is not selling so well, do you regret you haven't done more promotion (tour, tv shows etc) to help it?
3. Is the song you wrote with Justin Martin going to be released soon? Why it's not included in the album?

Posted by: fey at Apr 2, 2007 3:00:53 PM

I was wondering where and when you normally do your writing and where you drew much of your inspiration from for your brilliant solo album.......years ago a friend of mine told me you used to sit at the back of a little cake shop on hampstead heath and write. She took me there once and I'd love to know the name of the place......oh yeah, just one question.....oh well,

Cheers, Cliff.