« Exclusive: Fiscerspooner Recording New Album | Main | Antony: The Uncaged Songbird »

Free Download: Siobhan Donaghy "Ghost"

Arjanwrites_siobhandonaghy

Siobhan Donaghy is not afraid of taking risks. The ex-Sugababes singer returns with her second solo abum "Ghost" that is nothing like the bubbly R&B flavored pop she used to crank out with the Sugababes. The singers appears to have transformed into a more eclectic creature who is looking to push new sonic boundaries as an established pop artist.

"Some people say you can’t make left-field pop music and be commercial,” announces Siobhan Donaghy in a press statement, “and that’s bullshit. They always say that when there’s nothing else out there like it. I remember what was on the radio when my career began and God, it’s so diverse now in comparison. And it feels good to be a part of it.”

She was dropped from London Records after her first solo album was released in 2003 due to a take-over by Warner. Donaghy took a lengthy break to read, travel and explore new music. She hooked up with producer James Sanger (U2, Brian Eno, Keane) to create an album that has resulted in a sound that is "coolly dramatic as vintage Kate Bush, as vocally ephemeral as the Cocteau Twins’ Elizabeth Fraser, as electro-dazzling as ‘Ray of Light’-era Madonna."

"Ghost" is an epic electro tune that creates a compelling soundscape, which might alienate some of her teenage fans, but will likely open the door to listeners who are in the mood for something a little more crunchy. "Don’t Give It Up’, the first single from "Ghosts" will be released 8th Jan 2007. "Ghosts’" will be released in March 2007 (Kisses for EMI in London for allowing me to post the MP3 file.)

Download Siobhan Donaghy "Ghost"

November 16, 2006 in MP3, Siobhan Donaghy | Permalink

Comments

Sounds great - reminds me a little of Kate Bush and thats not a bad thing!.

Posted by: Che at Nov 16, 2006 1:51:48 PM

Loved her in the Sugababes, wasn't so keen on her solo stuff, but this time round sounds very promising. It's a real head rush of a song, very refreshing.

Posted by: at Nov 16, 2006 4:56:43 PM

ummm... wow- surprisingly excellent! can't wait for this. Love the sugababes. I was living in Germany when they hit big- you couldnt escape them ;-)

Posted by: James Derek Dwyer at Nov 16, 2006 6:23:04 PM

Wow! Who knew? Maybe I will ave to learn to say her last name! Are the vocals being played backwards?

Posted by: xolondon at Nov 17, 2006 4:31:36 AM

Siobhan has created another pattern in the mesh. Another resonating truth in the spiritual heritage of sound.

Ok what about this?

Every year the British people join together in a celebration of the stars in the nights sky. We play our most emotive tunes and agree to switch off all the lights.

Can you imagine how the stars would brighten instantaneously and how we could witness the majesty of the universe, in peace, forever.

Posted by: Dave Kirkby at Nov 17, 2006 4:44:35 PM

hey! its cool that you featured siobhan donaghy. she deserves all the buzz she can get. her first solo effort was great and i just can't wait for this one as well.

Posted by: ming at Nov 19, 2006 7:44:24 AM

very ala Imogen but less melodic. but My god from Sugababe to exentric artist, who knew pop had it in them?

Posted by: juan at Nov 22, 2006 7:39:45 PM

my god, please do not ruin this song for me, imogen cant hold a candle to siobhan.

imogens voice is awful, and her songwriting is shit.

Posted by: zac at Dec 2, 2006 5:21:50 PM

The album is finally out!
It definitely lives up to expectations, each song is great and important, there's no filler!

Posted by: Aran at Jun 26, 2007 1:36:18 AM

I just picked it up last night and I can't stop listening to it. To say that it's like nothing I've ever heard before would be a lie... I hear traces of other influences in it, but the combination of it is astounding. The production is top shelf, her vocals are haunting and the songs are pop-friendly but not average. It reminds me of how I first felt after listening to Chemistry by Girls Aloud: I don't know what that was that I just listened to, but I really, really like it!!! The title track of the album is nothing short of classic. I'm a fan.

Posted by: Brian at Jul 19, 2007 5:30:19 PM