« Video Premiere: Glideascope "Audio Cinematography" | Main | New Killers Promo Shots »

Stream New George Michael Single

Georgemichael

After a slurry of stupidity and lots of bad press, '80s pop icon George Michael attempts to return to the musical spotlight with his new single "An Easier Affair." It sounds unexpectedly good. It is a little dated sure, but it has a nice smooth vibe to that reminds me of his work on "Patience." The track is dedicated to his female fans who didn't suspect he was gay until he came out in 1998.

With his autobiographical lyrics he tries to redeem himself from the bad press in recent months. Lyrically, the song deals with his coming out as a gay man "I told myself I was straight , but I shouldn't have worried because my maker had a better plan (. . .) But I'm dancing with the freaks now, and I'm having too much fun."

He also confronts the recent controversies head on by singing, "It's an easier affair not living my life with other people on my mind. No, got nothing to hide from anyone. Yes, I'm walking on new air. Just living my life. I don't have time for the haters."

Whether you're over George Michael or not, I think he deserves kudos for not compromising the way he talks about his sexuality. Many others should follow his lead.

Stream George Michael "An Easier Affair" [real]

June 23, 2006 in Audio Streams | Permalink

Comments

The first line of the song actually seems a bit condescending to me. I mean, he took years to come out and I have always found his "pride" a bit forced or laced with a negative edge. The song is not bad though... I just don't know how I would feel if I was a female fan who had supported him all the way through.

Posted by: xolondon at Jun 24, 2006 9:20:17 AM

I'm a female fan of George since the Wham! days. Without a doubt, he's a gorgeous man, but it's always been about the voice first for me. As I matured, I realized he's quite an artist and I have a respect for his writing talent and incorporating various influences, from Stevie Wonder to jazz artists... anyway... it's always fabulous to hear new stuff from George.

Posted by: kaleidoscopickris at Jun 24, 2006 3:57:58 PM

I think George is a very talentened guy, but this does not sound like a U.S. single to me.

Posted by: Mike at Jun 25, 2006 7:23:53 AM

I really like the sound of this track. I don't think its dated... its back in fashion :)

-Nel

Posted by: Nelson Clemente at Jun 25, 2006 10:17:22 PM

What else would George Michael write about if it wasn't for his sexuality issues and stupid behaviour? There's nothing he likes better. At least on a purely musical level this makes a change from his incredibly stodgy and preposterously self-indulgent songs

Posted by: jetpack at Jun 27, 2006 1:52:44 AM

George Michael ages into a very interesting public character, but he stopped being a good musician a long time ago...

Posted by: Playpause at Jun 27, 2006 1:51:16 PM

Another excellent track from George not dated at all, an up beat, summer song. Much better that a lot of the crap out at the moment. George Michael is an excellent artist, producing quality music. As a Female fan, I am not bothered if he is straight or gay, (how likely are we to get a chance with him anyway!!!) PS.. who cares about what the U.S charts think, we love it

Posted by: Bina at Jun 29, 2006 5:26:04 AM

Beautifull comeback!, from one of the most outstanding artists of the 21th century!

Posted by: DJ Fredleo at Jul 3, 2006 2:43:44 AM

George has a brilliant voice...go buy the single!

Posted by: george at Jul 3, 2006 10:34:10 AM

I agree--this doesn't sound like a U.S. single to me either, since it isn't thoughtless rubbish.

Clearly, the man has rhythm, and in the end this is all anyone can ask of a professional musician, isn't it?

Georgie, you keep writing, we'll keep listening!

Posted by: Erich Beulig at Jul 4, 2006 1:44:01 PM

I'm fan of George . I'm sure his very talented , really , without any doubt and this song "An Easier Affair" It's special

Posted by: Jasmine at Jul 11, 2006 4:01:54 AM

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG! I have always been a huge fan of George Michael, both before and after the revelation regarding his sexuality. He is a master at writing/producing/singing hip dance tracks as well as superb ballads. I thank him for giving a shout out to all his female fans who loved him since the beginning, and continue to support him today. He is one of the greatest song writers of the last century. Love you George! Hang in there.

Posted by: Dirty Diana at Aug 3, 2006 9:17:00 PM

THE SONG IS TOO VERY GOOD.

Posted by: RAFAL FROM POLAND at Aug 18, 2006 3:31:12 PM

Forget his personal life that is for george to do as he sees fit with it and find his own way.
Anyone who doubts his musical talent needs their ears tested. He has an incredible nack of coming back with catchy great tunes and he has a uniquely great voice. Keep em coming George its great to see your back.

Posted by: Darren forsyth at Sep 23, 2006 12:00:58 PM

I'm a huge fan of George since the wham days and in Portugal we have a sentence that resumes him: "His like the Oporto wine, the older the better!!!"
This new song is really a pleasure to ear to anyone who loves to dance!!! And his voice better then ever!!!
I'm going to his concert on October's 10th in Paris and I probably will go nuts on dancing it!!! Please George, never stop singing and writing great music as you have been doing on the last 25 years!!!

Posted by: ASO at Oct 8, 2006 8:24:41 AM

after all it will a good "coming-out" anthem for some young guys out there... uplifting, pumping u up with pride... i think it'lll work best for that

Posted by: thz at Dec 19, 2006 4:33:20 AM

I think it is a great song!!! Very dance friendly!!! I too have loved him from the beginning...very talented...like fine wine..the older the better! AHHHHHHH how refreshing it is to see he has not taken a back seat like some celeb's that just can't deal with it. He has had a an enormous amount of bad publicity and has still has survived. REMEMBER.....EVERYONE makes mistakes in life and those who say they don't are freaking liars!!! KUDO'S to George! Still love ya! NCFANOUTERBANKS

Posted by: WDS at Mar 24, 2007 3:18:12 PM

GEORGE MICHAEL IS BACK. I WENT TO HIS 25 LIVE CONCERT IN ATHENS GREECE AND IT WAS IN ONE WORD FANTASTIC!
HIS MUSIC IS JUST BEAUTIFUL!

PILI ATHENS 25 LIVE TOUR - GREECE JULY 2007

Posted by: PILI at Aug 25, 2007 3:04:19 PM

whatever his sexual life is, considering his singing and the melody of his song he is the world best.

Posted by: muller at Jan 3, 2008 10:11:50 PM

u are azing and ur new song i so god it is probably the est

Posted by: bailey at Dec 2, 2008 7:01:58 AM