« Stream New Imogen Heap Tracks | Main | Dangerous Muse New EP Update »

Nelly Furtado on SNL

Maneater Cover

I was curious to see Nelly Furtado perform on Saturday Night Live this weekend. She did a decent job. Her vocals were not particularly strong, but her stage presence was confident. Now that the singer has morphed into a pop R&B artist, her songs have primarily become pimped up studio productions that heavily rely on Timbaland's sound board tricks. As a result, Furtado's distinct, nasal vocals are not emphasized as much, which is noticeable on the SNL live performance.  Check out "Promiscuous" and "Maneater" on YouTube and decide for yourself. On a related note, fan site BurnInTheSpotlight has posted a stream of Furtado's new song "Undercover" that is featured as the B side on the "Maneater" single in Europe.

Watch Nelly Furtado perform on SNL

May 22, 2006 in Audio & Video Stream | Permalink

Comments

That's my problem with "Promiscuous" - no one seems to be acknowledging that Nelly barely appears on her own song. I'd like to hear a mix with Timbaland CUT. I was disappointed by that track b/c it has great energy. Am eager to hear the songs that supposedly sound like old Madonna.

Posted by: xolondon at May 22, 2006 6:36:52 AM

I thought that Nelly was doing her best Gwen Stefani impersonation on SNL, not a great sounding performance.

Posted by: KulPop at May 22, 2006 7:24:46 AM

i love that undercover song. really good.

Posted by: Mike at May 22, 2006 8:47:04 AM

For those who want to download the SNL performances in Quicktime HQ follow the links.

Promiscous: http://www.filefactory.com/?36d08b

Maneater:

Links expire in 15 days.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Paulo at May 22, 2006 8:52:50 PM

Undercover is brilliant, but maybe it was not included because it is almost indiscernable from a Gwen Stefani song. Total rip of Gwen

Posted by: xolondon at May 23, 2006 5:27:02 AM

I have to agree that Nelly's voice isn't the main focus of "Promiscuous" but furthermore, if she thinks that her survival includes a shift to R&B style pop, as well as a C+C Music Factory-era inspired outfit, then she must know something that we dont.
Disappointing.

Posted by: nixon at May 23, 2006 6:13:19 AM

Nelly's preformance on SNL was somewhat laughable...her vocals sounded decent at points, but I'm just wondering where her chizzled abdominal muscles from the video went? Did anyone else notice how the back-up dancers had to tone down their skills to match her dancing "moves." I heard that Timberland had to coach her to move to the beat. Oh Nelly.....stick with your nasal, folksy balads

Posted by: at Jun 24, 2006 9:23:16 PM

Nelly Furtado is ripping off Peaches and shes lame. Peaches is the shit and Nelly ain't it

Posted by: melissa at Jun 24, 2006 10:15:47 PM

i think that SNL performance of promiscuous was the second worst one i've seen on saturday night live, second only to ashley simpson. her vocals were off key slightly and not particularly strong or soulful, and it gives you a good idea of what having a good producer and large studio budget can do for you... its good for cd sales, but when they perform live they better be able to recreate that studio sound or people will be disappointed. Also, the beat they used is catchy, but at the same time it sounded like the creativity was starting to wear thin. I liked nelly furtado because when she came out, she sounded original and had a well balanced blend of genres. now, i've noticed we have people like natasha beddingfield (sp?) and some other girls copying her old sound, while now it sounds like she's copying the same kind of style gwen stefani was going for when she was working with the neptunes. personally i think she should stick with the soulful style that made her famous.

Posted by: radiochemist at Jun 25, 2006 12:37:04 AM

I don't know what happened to Nelly after her first album, but her performance on SNL was nothing more than just plain terrible. What up with her booty jeans, and that shirt? You gotta have some boobs for a shirt like that, otherwise wear something else will-ya. I love that girl and her voice, but after seeing her on t.v. the other night it made me think that she was jsut gasping for her last breath of air before she goes under for good. Too bad, she had so much talent.

Posted by: Nelly Lover at Jun 26, 2006 1:21:50 PM

Did anyone count how many times she touched her hair while (less than adequately) singing each song? OVER 40 TIMES!!! Get some new moves lady. Stupid weak...

Posted by: gijoel at Jul 5, 2006 8:11:48 PM

The SNL performance was a TRAIN WRECK. I love the song on the radio, but I thought the vocals were terrible - this is the fault of the person who was mixing the sound, her voice was WAY too much ever eveyone else, and the performance was OVER ACTING.

Posted by: Justin Hammond at Jul 7, 2006 7:41:37 AM

sex sells...Nelly Furtado = sellout...how can ya go from "I'm like a bird, I wanna fly away...I don't know where my soul is" to showin' your TnA (which is hot by the way LOL)?

I'd rather have Timbo's beats, period. Pull everything else away and that shit's 99% Timbo, period.

Posted by: Dean at Jul 7, 2006 7:51:47 AM

The SNL performance left me stunned.
I don't know what to say? what that live? Was I dreaming that?? I think the hair touching and trying to stick out her non butt really got to me. OK lets not forget her twirrling around and around. She madde me dizzy. That was weird. Dumb song too.

Posted by: Dana at Aug 17, 2006 11:23:18 AM

she went from singing from her soul in the first album to selling it in her new ones!

Posted by: phillip at Mar 7, 2008 4:17:11 PM