« Random Notes | Main | The Presets Contest »

Pet Shop Boys U.S. Release Update

Psb_fundamental_neon

Some disconcerting news for American Pet Shop Boys fans this Tuesday morning. There is still a chance the new Pet Shop Boys album "Fundamental" will not be released in the United States. I corresponded this morning with their main p.r. rep in London who wrote "if it is released in the US it will be through Rhino." He provided the name of a possible label, but also kept the door open to speculation with the meaningful "if."  And you know that p.r. people are in the business of picking their words carefully. It sounds like a distribution deal with Rhino still needs to be ironed out. To be continued.

April 18, 2006 | Permalink

Comments

Well, I buy like 60% of my music from overseas, so this is just another one!

If Americans don't have the taste for this, F em.

Posted by: xolondon at Apr 18, 2006 5:41:43 PM

I buy a great deal of my music via import as well, but there was also talk from one of the producers off Fundamental that there will be a bonus disc for the US. What the Hell is really going on?

Posted by: SuperStylin at Apr 19, 2006 6:37:00 AM

I also buy my music from overseas (amazon.co.uk). It is often cheaper than buying imports and the delivey is suprisingly fast... It doesn't really matter anymore if a record isn't released in the states...

Posted by: NoComment at Apr 19, 2006 8:30:31 AM

To answer SuperStylin, like the last two PSB albums there is a special edition of "Fundamental" that features a couple of new tracks, notably one produced by Richard X, and a handful of remixes. http://www.petshopboys.co.uk/ has that info if you scroll down the news section a bit.
As for domestic releases not mattering anymore, I couldn't disagree more. I used to buy lots of imports, and I'm glad that I have a few that never made it properly to the US, but it really marginalizes the music you like the availability if it never gets released in your own country. At least that's my current take on it and why I will not buy any more imports.

Posted by: Ben at Apr 20, 2006 1:24:01 AM

they should at least release the album on itunes or a digital store. it seems like it's easy for a lot of artists to put their albums out that way vs. an actual cd.
it sucks having to buy the import.

Posted by: g at Apr 20, 2006 5:30:17 PM

From the official site

Fundamental USA release - 27 April '06
We will be announcing the American release details of "Fundamental" very soon.

Posted by: boyjohn at Apr 27, 2006 5:15:10 PM

Billboard.org says that the release date is now June 27th for North America. The 'Fundamentalism' package that includes the extra CD with tasty remixes will also be released.

If you are as impatient as I am: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=Pet+Shop+Boys+Fundamental&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&srchdesc=n&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Posted by: Benji at May 19, 2006 1:13:38 PM