« Free Download: Krezip "I Apologize" | Main | Interview with Alex Patsavis, Musical Director The O.C. »

Stream Entire "Brokeback Mountain" Soundtrack

Arjanwrites_bms

The "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack is one of the most exciting new albums to come out this season. The movie's original tunes are composed by the talented Gustavo Santaolalla. Parts of his mesmerizing instrumental score are intertwined with vocals tracks performed by Willie Nelson, Rufus Wainwright, Emmylou Harris, Mary McBride, Teddy Thompsons and others. The Argentina-born Santaolalla has been called the guru of alternative Latin musical production and previously wrote the scores for "21 Grams" and "The Motorcycle Diaries."

Rooted in country, folk and bluegrass, the music on this record perfectly conveys the emotional intensity and the authenticity of the movie's love story that is set in the breathtaking Wyoming landscape. Tender ballads by Rufus Wainwright and Emmylou Harris are mixed with the upbeat country stompers of Linda Ronstadt and The Gas Band.

In an interview with with TIMBT, Santaolalla explains that he was pushed to a new creative level to write music about a love affair between two cowboys. His unique approach to scoring music was very appealing to director Ang Lee. "Usually the way this business works is that they do a first cut, then they send you the cut and then you start scoring," Santaolalla said. "The way I did [my] last three films is that I read the script, I had a meeting with the director, we talked about it, and then I started composing, writing and recording stuff. And it has been great because it has been very useful for the creative relationship with the director."

I'm particularly fond of Mary McBride's arresting vocal performance on "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me." Rufus Wainwright and Teddy Thompson's duet on their cover of Roger Miller's 1964 "King of the Road" is another gem that should not be missed. The album concludes with the gorgeous Santaolalla composition "The Wings" that is the official movie theme song. For those interested in reading more about "Brokeback Mountain," make sure to visit Towleroad's movie link page. [source, source, source]

Stream the entire "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack
Listen to a podcast interview with Ang Lee [mp3]
Watch "Brokeback Mountain" movie trailer [wmv]

November 29, 2005 in Audio Streams | Permalink

Comments

Hi! Just an FYI that the artist who sings "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me" is Mary McBride, not Martina McBride. Great song!

Posted by: Chris at Nov 29, 2005 8:57:40 AM

thanks, great stuff.

Posted by: spencer at Nov 29, 2005 9:00:27 AM

I never loved King of the Road until now. Great cover!

Posted by: Chiron at Nov 30, 2005 12:55:17 PM

Beautiful soundtrack ... I can't wait to see the movie !
And beautiful blog too !

Posted by: Fernando Augusto Pacheco at Dec 4, 2005 11:48:54 AM

I've been waiting in anticipation for this film to finally be released. The soundtrack is beautiful.

Posted by: Denise at Dec 5, 2005 11:29:47 AM

just saw Brokeback Mountain last night at a Q&A with the director and most of the actors. What an amazing film and amazing soundtrack.

Posted by: marcus at Dec 6, 2005 10:49:23 AM

I like this soundtrack a lot.

Posted by: Wolfy at Dec 7, 2005 10:34:55 AM

One of the most beautiful movies I ever saw. And YES, the Soundtrack is great, too.
I was the whole day like in Trance after watching the picture. It was shown here in Berlin yesterday as a Preview. Will be opening not before March *06.

Posted by: UweB at Dec 10, 2005 10:54:57 AM

I just saw the film in limited release in Toronto and while I could tell from the trailer that this would likely be a sad film I wasn't prepared for just how depressing it was. Set in this context, the theme from the movie is downright haunting. (Something else none of the reviews seem to mention: you have to listen REALLY carefully to understand Heath Ledger's mumbling!)

Posted by: Peter at Dec 19, 2005 6:05:03 AM

I saw the movie last night, and I walked out feeling...Heaths loss. I still felt affected today at work. It was a beautiful movie, and Heath did mumble, but that was his character. I lost my wife two years ago and I could see that Heath really felt his loss. Great acting! Jake was awesome too. The women filled out the cast well. Ang Lee does it again!

Posted by: Kim at Dec 27, 2005 2:06:41 PM

I bought the soundtrack Dec 13th, nearly two weeks before seeing the film. While it certainly stands on it's on, as you experience the music & songs interwoven with the movie itself, it truly does haunt you. I know that years from now THE WINGS will strike the same Emotional Chord of Poignancy & Loss inside me as strongly as it does now. It's a Beautiful Work of Art,both movie & soundtrack ,through & through.

Posted by: Calvin Washington at Jan 4, 2006 10:59:35 PM

Through each note and chord Gustavo Santaolalla brilliantly assembles a powerful, pure soundtrack to accompany the breathtaking cinematography of Rodrigo Prieto which together creates a masterpiece exposing the innocence, purity and vastness of the mid to late 20th century American West. Mr. Santaolalla's music eerily depicts the haunting, tragic moments in Brokeback Mountain. Must hear: "The Wings"... How can one simple song with no words stir so much emotion? What a great movie and soundtrack.

Posted by: David Prince at Jan 10, 2006 7:49:58 PM

The song "The Wings" is amazing. I have seen this movie twice. Jake and Heath and Michele are so convincing. This has to be my favorite movie ever.

Posted by: chris at Jan 17, 2006 11:29:23 AM

FYI, although the movie is set in Wyoming, it was shot entirely in Alberta just outside of Calgary.

Posted by: Steve at Jan 17, 2006 12:55:34 PM

Can someone please tell me the harmonies in that guitar waltz called "The Wings"? This is driving me nuts! have a peculiar obsession to know the harmonic progressions whenever I hear something like that. I assume the progression is B-flat major, F minor, E-flat major, B-flat major. But I am not sure of the F minor . . .

Posted by: Morey at Jan 17, 2006 4:59:42 PM

What a movie! How can one simple song with no words stir so much emotion? I just don't know.

Posted by: Damian Gutierrez at Jan 20, 2006 10:45:44 AM

This is indeed a great soundtrack to a fantastic film. However, there are several pieces heard in the film that do not appear on the soundtrack and that puzzles me. The one stand-out track missing occurs in two scenes in the film- first when Ennis finds the sheep carcass the morning after his first night with Jack then again towards the end when Ennis visits Jacks parents. It is truly haunting music, perfect for both scenes but especially in the first scene. It heightens the feeling that the lives of these men has changed forever. The soundtrack is near-perfect, to me. This music not being included is its only flaw!!

Posted by: joe at Jan 25, 2006 8:34:09 AM

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is a good story. Would say great--personal feeling that it is--but would cause too much controversery.

At any rate, the story was there, the actors, director, writers, the whole crew did their jobs well. Like the "aging" of the actors looks from 19 to 39...good job.

A good film worth seeing more than once. But it needs a sequel.???

Posted by: STEVE at Jan 26, 2006 11:33:49 AM

was just wondering if the script is available on the net. can it be downloaded. ? would love to just re-read the whole thing. any idea of where i can download the script from?

Posted by: vijay at Feb 6, 2006 9:23:53 PM

may i know How do i stream the soundtrack?

thanks...

Posted by: lim at Feb 7, 2006 1:56:21 AM

where can i get Brokeback Mountain's "THe Wings" (Finbarr Massi Remix)? Cant get it anywhere even in his website. Help!

Posted by: Zul Othman at Feb 8, 2006 4:27:21 AM

one of my favorite movie ever.....so poignant yet not forceful....the acting was superb by heath(he was the best choice for this movie) and the whole crew...a movie that left me speechless...the storyline so beautifully and realistically written.

Posted by: kenneth at Feb 14, 2006 7:53:04 PM

Lim, I found this section in Variety about the remix song being available.

The remixes, which Santaolalla approved, will become commercially available on April 11. MTV's Logo network will likely premiere the Gabriel & Dresden video once it is approved.

Posted by: NKSawa at Mar 7, 2006 3:47:59 PM

this movie is a wonderful blend of great music and breathtaking visual,thanks to the diretor, actors, composer and anyone that has contributed to this masterpiece. you guys did a wonderful job!!

Posted by: fing at Mar 22, 2006 6:32:05 PM

thanks for the review, helped me with a song i was looking for

Posted by: Danielle at Mar 31, 2006 2:38:48 PM