« Brandon Flowers About the Trappings of Success | Main | Mylo Hearts Diplo »

Eurythmics to Release New Single, Album

Arjanwrites_anniedave0025

I just heard a preview copy Eurythmics' brand-new single "I've Got A Life" that will be available in stores on October 31. The song is fresh and familiar with the duo's distinctive vocal and instrumental style. Lennox introduces the uplifting track with her powerful voice backed by a gospel choir while outlining the grand theme of the song:

I've got a life 'though it refuses to shine.
I've got a life. It ain't over.
I've got a way and it is the only thing that's mine.
All I'm asking for is a little tenderness.

After the acoustic intro, Dave Stewart's techno-styled rock arrangement kicks in to climax in a glorious chorus. The song is one of two new tracks that the duo wrote and recorded for their greatest hits compilation that will be available in November. Spinmeister Peter Rauhofer has signed up to remix "I've Got A Life" after his successful remixes for Lennox' tracks "Pavement Cracks" and "A Thousand Beautiful Things."

The video for the new single has been shot by photographer Matthew Rolston. His visual concept was to create a homage to the early Eurythmics days with both Lennox and Steward in suit around vintage synthesizers (just like in "Sweet Dream"). Click here for an exclusive photo from the video shoot. Listen to a 10 second snippet of the song just to get a feel for it. As soon as I receive a formal stream, I'll make sure to post it.

Download a snippet of Eurythmics "I've Got A Life" [mp3]

September 29, 2005 | Permalink

Comments

This song is freakin' AMAZING. One of the finest tracks theyhave ever done, IMO. And that is not hyperbole. It's like 4 songs rolled into one. I love the really disco-y breakdown in the middle with the building strings. FABULOUS.

Can't wait to hear the second new song.

Just wish the CD had some songs from We Two Are One.

Posted by: xolondon at Sep 29, 2005 5:17:23 AM

oooh- they finally go back to the synths that love them... yummm

Posted by: Jim at Sep 29, 2005 3:16:24 PM

i was WONDERING when you'd get around to reporting this, Arjan! it really is a fantastic song. i only wish a full album of new material was to follow it, instead of another compilation. but they are re-releasing all their albums in remastered form (with bonus tracks), so beggars can't be choosers....

Posted by: Craig at Sep 29, 2005 3:35:00 PM

A new, full length album must come about from all of this. Annie, you are a Goddess!

Posted by: Remi at Sep 29, 2005 9:05:34 PM

Pardon!! Did someone just post that this one of the finest tracks they ever made. Calling it amazing.

Yeah right, you are stupid or you don't know all there old stuff.

Posted by: Sander at Oct 4, 2005 12:01:12 PM

It's ok.
Nothing great.

Where's the hook? Where's the killer chorus?

I always loved that tention in Eurythmics songs. That build up to Annie letting loose a few powerful notes to punch the song. This is just another 3 minutes of her hitting high note after high note.

Forgettable.

Posted by: MisterKen at Oct 4, 2005 3:22:30 PM

The only commissioned remixers on the song are: Sander Kleinenberg and David Guetta & Joachim Garraud

I'm sure this won't prevent Rauhofer from doing it also.

I have been listening to the whole song for a couple of days, and it's true that it's their best in years. I'd put it at the same level as 1999's "17 Again," which I also think was genius.

This snippet doesn't do it justice -- the song starts out slow, and then EXPLODES.

The 2nd new single, "Was It Just Another Love Affair?" is much more downtempo, and not quite as sexy as "Life".

Annie Lennox will be coming out with a new solo album within 6 months to a year, of all new materials -- most of it's already written.

Posted by: jb at Oct 6, 2005 11:58:20 AM

im just grateful they're back!

Posted by: nik at Oct 9, 2005 3:40:53 AM

I've Got a Life is nothing more than BRILLIANT - at long last the synth is back. I also think the lyric is great. Welcome back Annie and Dave. PLEASE continue together!

Posted by: Chris at Oct 9, 2005 1:33:41 PM

as the eurythmics number one fan, i am justifiably biased but i can be objective.the new songs are fabulous..the video is brilliant and,for me, it's like christmas has come early.if it goes top 10 it will be their first top 10 hit in over 19 years!

Posted by: stewart lennox at Oct 16, 2005 3:12:36 AM

Webmaster of a Eurythmics site here - check it out for pics of the new single "I've Got A Life", an exclusive interview with Laurence Stevens, Eurythmics' long-time graphic designer, as well as a cool contest where you can win a press kit and promo poster! Thanks.

Posted by: Rex Saldana at Oct 26, 2005 8:58:44 AM

i agree with everyone, annie & dave are the best singers ever, ive been there number one fan since i heard sweet dreams in woolworths over 20yrs ago, ive got alife is one of the best, but pavement cracks is one too, but in my eyes, ALL of Eurythmics and annie lennox's solo songs are the best music to ever listen too! you cant compare any of there music, cos all songs are just perfect & geniusly perfected, no one can ever ever out run the eurythmics, from the only compassionate number 1 FAN.........

Posted by: lisa at Oct 28, 2005 2:28:43 PM

They have been all over TV....any news on a tour???

Posted by: joaquin at Nov 26, 2005 10:12:34 AM

Wonderful!!!! I absolutely love that.

Posted by: Sarah at Jan 8, 2006 11:00:50 PM

I can not download this 10 seconds of I've got a life. Any help?

Posted by: marta at Jan 12, 2006 3:01:17 AM

I've been looking for a song by the eurythmics or annie lennox. I thought it was called "one", but I can't seem to find it. I don't remember any lyrics, but it's pretty sad... if anyone could help me find the correct title, or lyrics, I'd deeply appreciate it. thank you.

Posted by: Jessica at Apr 25, 2006 5:32:24 PM