« DJs Unite for Move Against AIDS | Main | MP3: Justus Boyz "Snow On Christmas Day" »

Video Premiere: Erasure "Breathe"

Arjanwrites_breathe1 Arjanwrites_breathe2
Arjanwrites_breathe3 Arjanwrites_breathe4

Erasure gets into the Christmas spirit on the video for their new single "Breathe." Set in urban, neon-lit Japan, the video is a modern interpretation of "The Little Match Girl" Christmas story that Hans Christian Anderson wrote in 1846.

Watch the video: [Real] [Windows Media]

The story of a young Japanese girl trying to sell her matches barefoot in the cold, dark streets tragically unfolds while Andy Bell sings on television screens in store displays and billboards. Vince Clark, Erasure's other half, is conspicuously missing from the video.

The synth-pop ballad is one of the melodic and touching highlights of Erasure's forthcoming CD "Nighbird." Just as in the original story, the girl in the video ends up freezing to death while holding on to her matches, one of which is burnt.

I'm not sure if this new Erasure song will be picked up by the American crowd, but this timely and stylish video will likely be a hit for the group in Europe where most of their fans are.

December 2, 2004 in Video Premieres | Permalink

Comments

I wonder if it was a concious choice to release a song so retro sounding or if they just have no inspiration anymore?

Not loving the hair either.

Posted by: xolondon at Dec 4, 2004 3:04:30 AM

i looove the song and the video. erasure is sooo perfect....

Posted by: priya at Dec 6, 2004 7:06:45 PM

gorgeous the erasure return feedback to analogical machines with mr. clark,other time japan in my mind like flamboyant video from pet shop boys,thanks to mr.bell and mr.clark....isidoro from spain

Posted by: isidoro at Dec 8, 2004 1:58:32 PM

Ive heard the song twice on radio and just watched the video, as soon as its out to buy im buying it.
Love the song
Shame i cant see them live next year sold out concert :(

Posted by: sb at Dec 8, 2004 3:41:25 PM

Es el mejor Video de la Historia de Erasure. Tiene toda la cara para ganar un MTV awards!

Sin contar que, Nightbird es el primer album de Vince Clarke con los synths virtuales. Está genial. Al estilo del genio, Mr Clarke.

Posted by: Marcos De La Fuente at Dec 12, 2004 5:22:19 AM

Well, it does come to my surprise as I stumbled with it after so ong thinking Erasure had given up after the Hits! thingy. I didn't enjoy that very much, apart for the memories it brought, but this song sounds good to me, will have to check it out. When is that out? anybody knows about any online store taking pre-orders? I hope it's not a one week again since I missed on Oh L'amour re-release last year because nobody was warned.

Posted by: james at Dec 12, 2004 6:24:32 AM

what you guys think of the video?

Posted by: Kb at Dec 13, 2004 3:00:23 AM

hi,

Vince Clarke is in the video. hiding on several tv-screens (big BUY screening, holding a garden gnome, etc...)

its one of their better videos and a nice song.

bye,
chris

Posted by: chris at Dec 13, 2004 12:30:18 PM

Great tune and great video. Good to see Erasure back on top form.

Posted by: Adam at Dec 22, 2004 3:19:37 AM

i love it

Posted by: david martinez at Dec 22, 2004 2:16:35 PM

the boys did a great job. nice tune and a great high-class-video!!!

Posted by: Ivan at Dec 24, 2004 2:38:26 PM

perfection is never out of style.

this is... "pure" pop.

unduplicated.

I am humbled.

andy and vince...

thank you.

Posted by: Brad at Dec 25, 2004 7:03:43 PM

just heard it on radio again.......its brilliant......and its released in the uk monday.....i think i can force myself to buy a few copies :-)

well done guys nice tune

Posted by: muzzy at Jan 2, 2005 2:40:29 PM

Brilliant!

Got tickets to see them in San Francisco and can't wait.

Posted by: idogcow at Jan 18, 2005 12:19:11 PM

I love this song and wanted to see how it was interpreted in the video.

I felt so sad when I saw it..it just reminds you about all the crap that is happening in the world. Children shouldn't have to go through all that but the lyrics suits the video well.

The lyrics can be applied to many other things as well so you can interpret it anyway you want making it more personal.

Nice one!

Posted by: Sinners at Feb 5, 2005 3:54:22 PM

This is the 1st time ive heard nything by erasure and i totally lov it!!!

Posted by: Maria at Mar 26, 2005 10:01:19 AM

This is nothing short of brilliant. I have loved Andy for years, and really didn't think he and Vince could top their classics. I'm pleased to say that this effort proves that Erasure is the best at its craft. Talent combined with style and emotion never go out of style. Saw the live show in Toronto this summer and was blown away. Andy is hotter than ever.

Posted by: Denis at Sep 12, 2005 10:44:48 AM

What was the name of that Erasure's song that in the video it was like an ancient chinese or japanese story where he protects the princess or something like that?

Posted by: Adrian at Jan 3, 2006 9:24:14 AM

Who can help me...?
Who is the women in the video, also singing with Andy??

Yours Jesper